Zoukei Mura FW-190A-4 JG 54

Uncarina

Looks fantastic, I have 2 kits to complete before I start on this one. I'm considering having a half open build as shown in this link. What paint did you use for the wheel wells ? I presume that IRL, the fuselage insides were bare metal but I'm wondering if some artistic licence e.g. zinc chromate, would be better ? It's a high class problem.

[Zoukei-mura Old Man Blog No.132] The real pleasure of the SWS kit that you can enjoy with the manual: Fw 190 Final Part Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Schnell Aircraft Production (Final Outfitting Works) | Zoukei-mura (zoukeimura.co.jp)

1 hour ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

Looks fantastic, I have 2 kits to complete before I start on this one. I'm considering having a half open build as shown in this link. What paint did you use for the wheel wells ? I presume that IRL, the fuselage insides were bare metal but I'm wondering if some artistic licence e.g. zinc chromate, would be better ? It's a high class problem.

[Zoukei-mura Old Man Blog No.132] The real pleasure of the SWS kit that you can enjoy with the manual: Fw 190 Final Part Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 Schnell Aircraft Production (Final Outfitting Works) | Zoukei-mura (zoukeimura.co.jp)

Thanks! I painted those wells RLM02. For the fuselage interior I imagine this varied from RLM02 to bare metal but will defer to the cognoscenti to share insights.

Cheers,  Tom

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks good the way it is ,  from here .

Thanks Mike! The tape masks for those little stubs kept falling off, so I’ll get them straightened out after all is said and done with the camouflage.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom, RLM colours seem to vary with the day of the week. Which paint and what serial number did you use ? I'm relatively new to this and started off with Tamiya but have found Mr Colour, AK Interactive and SMS Premium to be excellent. SMS RLM76 (PL189) underside light blue looks very pale but works brilliantly on a 1:24 109 G6. 

I'm very tempted to do the 190 in winter camo. The AK Insignia White is slightly cream tinted which over a base of normal camo, could look interesting.

6 hours ago, Duncan Doenitz said:

Thanks Tom, RLM colours seem to vary with the day of the week. Which paint and what serial number did you use ? I'm relatively new to this and started off with Tamiya but have found Mr Colour, AK Interactive and SMS Premium to be excellent. SMS RLM76 (PL189) underside light blue looks very pale but works brilliantly on a 1:24 109 G6. 

I'm very tempted to do the 190 in winter camo. The AK Insignia White is slightly cream tinted which over a base of normal camo, could look interesting.

I have several versions of RLM02: MRP 050, AK Real Colors RC265, Vallejo (just for brush painting touch-ups, I never airbrush with Vallejo), and a custom mix from Tamiya, which is what I used here.

Cheers,  Tom

14 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Liking this a lot Tom, looking forward to seeing the upper surfaces come together!

Regards. Andy 

Thank you Andy! Me too, and I’ll working on this hopefully soon.

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Always a joy to follow your builds Tom, this one is no different. Very motivational. Thank You.

Cheers

Martin

Thank you Martin! Your support means a lot.

Cheers,  Tom

10 hours ago, dashotgun said:

thanks for the build post I got inspired and picked one up from sprue bros.  I have a set of HGW  positive rivets I may try on it.  The model does seem a bit complicated with things I will not show.  

Thank you as well! I am glad this build can be of use. I have found this overall to be a very enjoyable build so far. Just test fit and go slowly with the cowling and you will be fine. I’m looking forward to see your build!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through your entire thread, Tom. What a great build and it’s obvious that you’re getting the best out of this kit.

I finally managed to get one of these kits myself and hope to get in to it at some point in the future. Having your build as a reference will help me to know what to expect with potential fit issues and what to look out for so thank-you!

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing ‘er with some camouflage paintwork on.

Cheers,

Wolf