Question about F4U tape over gun ports

Woody V

Among the more questionable maintenance stencils on the Tamiya Corsair decal sheet is one that reads "Remove Tape Before Firing Guns". My question is: Did Corsairs take off with the gun tape still covering the gun ports or not?

I know it seems highly improbable that they would taxi and take off in these dusty conditions with gun ports not sealed but I gotta' ask anyway.

Edited by Woody V

The complete text was(white letter , Francklin Gothic Condensed font) 84 & 48 point

REMOVE TAPE

FROM CASE CHUTE AND BLAST TUBE

OPENINGS BEFORE FIRING GUNS

To remove tape from case chute, , it's before the airplane taxi to the runway, the tape over the blasttube could be removed in same time.

Not fully germane to this post but I did a fair amount of research on this subject during my F4U-1D build a few years ago.   Noticed that at least in some combat zones, it seemed that they used standard brown packing tape to seal the gun ports.  Pic from Dana Bell’s indispensable Corsair book.   

IMG_0459

Edited by John1

6 hours ago, John1 said:

Noticed that at least in some combat zones, it seemed that they used standard brown packing tape to seal the gun ports.

Thanks for that info! I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of using white and your post is all the reason I need to make them brown. Hmmmm. I wonder how it would look if I used real packing tape? Might be too thick though. We'll see.