Sturmi! Converting the Das Werk StuG to the Finnish Version

Uncarina

I haven’t been active with any in progress builds for a while now, but I have been busy! Last year I purchased the 1/16th scale Das Werk StuG, a very fun build if you like large armor subjects.

9LJF1VL.jpg

But I wanted to build one that would stand out. So I approached my friend Patrick at Sierra Hotel Designs with the idea of a conversion set for a Finnish StuG, the Sturmi.

BqLEfTp.jpg

ZiVsMwH.jpg

In 1943 Finland purchased 30 StuG’s and made several distinctive conversions, including a large stowage box on the rear deck, moving the spare bogey wheels to the side of the hull, adding extra armor over the drivers vision block, and appropriating a Soviet machine gun. During the course of the conflicts with the Soviet Union Finland made several other changes as well, and the best source I’ve encountered for information is on this website: http://www.andreaslarka.net/sturmi.html (but see also http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/axis/finland/sturmi1bg_1.html).

Patrick was very receptive to this idea and to my amazement subsequently 3-D printed a magnificent conversion set that includes the modifications listed above along with most of the others Finland used. These parts are a drop-in fit, the only modification to the kit is expanding the shield cutout for the machine gun. 

lHR67XK.jpg

I designed and printed a mask set to go with these parts, and you can see the sets for yourself (along with my model) at the IPMS Nationals this next week. Sierra Hotel Designs will be located next to the Andy's Hobby Headquarters booth, and be sure to say hello to Mike and Patrick for me.

What sets these vehicles apart is their camouflage, a mossy green base color with hard edged earth red and cream colored patterns applied. The second reference linked above takes a detailed look at the colors used. I chose MRP-248 Green FS 34258, MRP-387 Earth Red FS 30117, and a custom mix of Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan with some grey and white added. As you see from the photos I haven't finished the build, but all of the main camouflage has been painted using MRP masking putty. More on the way!

KRsWF7x.jpg

B0NEi2c.jpg

fJFTcHu.jpg

qJSHkLt.jpg

O7YdkXV.jpg

UKgC37h.jpg

cfxJo0H.jpg

KAiBAyD.jpg

RKBZsQK.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Looking good, Tom! I thought doing the same(have the Surmi article printed out already), but as I have the 1/35th Tamiya Finnish Stug, I thought I would go ahead and build that one and do my 1/16th StuG as a late Eastern Front machine w/ waffle pattern Zimmerit on it. Love that Finnish camo!

Thanks Ray! It took a bit of a learning curve to use use the masking putty. The easy part is rolling it to make a slim length. The hard part is separating it from any other section of putty you dont want touching. And forget about leaving it on the model for an extended period. With any warmth it oozes into any cracks and fissures, very hard to remove. The best way is applying a dab of putty to the affected area, it comes right out. Glad to get her painted at last!

Cheers,  Tom

Yes, that was the second batch. There were other modifications like the saukopf mantlet, different idlers, and cement added to parts of the superstructure. The Andreas Larka gives a lot of good information, and it’s important to select a specific vehicle that has photographic evidence.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Managed to paint the Hakaristi today, the distinctive Finnish national markings. Unlike the German equivalent, the crosses have an offset white outline, making masking tricky. I ended up applying the white over black, suboptimal! A few more touchups then she’s off to the Nationals.

B7dqZlN.jpg

wfB12kH.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina