Airfix 1/24 Fw190A-5/U8 of III/SKG10

Volksjager

I can present my first completed build here on the LSP forums. This is the venerable Airfix Fw-190A kit in 1/24 scale. It certainly has a reputation, and with good reason, but I have really enjoyed this build from start to finish.

I actually have had this in the stash since about 1998 but never has the courage to tackle it. Flash forward to 2023, I decided enough was enough, let's just build it and have fun! If I bugger it up, well I learned something and will move on. In the end, this was one of the most enjoyable builds I have done. In fact it started a stash purge, with half being sold off & replaced with 1/32 & 1/24 kits. 

Special thanks to @Bonkin, his build over on Britmodeller was the inspiration for me to give this a go & to Peter @airscale for creating a brilliant set of 3d printed wheels for the kit, something the kit really needed. 

The kit suffered from a very flat main wing & a warped fuselage, which all was bent back into shape via a dunk in hot water & a wooden main spar was epoxied in place to keep the dihedral in the wings. The cockpit was upgraded, using the @airscale Fw190A decal for the IP, his 1/24 Luftwaffe belts & luftwaffe placards throughout. The landing gear was detailed and the bays were completed as the kit only supplied the back of the wells and the covers that conceals the engine. I also found the engine didn't protrude from the cowl for me like others have reported, I did reduce the length of the fan though and trimmed a little off the engine bearers, just to be sure.  All paints are SMS acrylic Lacquers in the classic scheme of RLM 74 & 75 over 76. All markings are painted on, other than the stencils, which are the Airfix original decals. The build log, which I started half way through, can be found on the forum 

The aircraft depicted is Wrk Nr. 2676,  Coded KM + EY of III/SKG10 based at El Aouiana, Tunisia. I found about 8 pictures of the aircraft when it was found abandoned at the airfield & all of these helped with adding the appropriate details. By no means is this a perfect rendition of this Butcher Bird, but I am pretty happy with it. 

53070807768_38cc0ac059_b.jpg

53070705540_5667e78381_b.jpg

53069724567_beeab6661b_b.jpg

53070306656_6af9afd656_b.jpg

53070807023_810c77eebd_b.jpg

53070807018_69b28e5a87_b.jpg

53070306691_47dc1935ba_b.jpg

53070703910_44ff0657f5_b.jpg

53070306061_69b5ba5a7d_b.jpg

53070703890_d7299d8f58_b.jpg

53069722562_85b0ebf841_b.jpg

53070497584_19e520709b_b.jpg

53069724452_19b880ea5b_b.jpg

53069724182_7b2d8dde1b_b.jpg

53070705340_3346029223_b.jpg

53069724522_994fbe12fa_b.jpg

53070306566_d21290a2b9_b.jpg

53070807378_771283c5ba_b.jpg

53070704720_fc4ec5134f_b.jpg

Fabulous. Just shows what can be done with these old Airfix classics when in the hands of a very competent modeller such as yourself!

It’s great to see these oldies being given some love - I’ve got the classic Airfix 1/24 Bf109E on the go in the background that keeps calling me back and I’m loving it. 

Great inspiration!

Tom

20 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Fabulous. Just shows what can be done with these old Airfix classics when in the hands of a very competent modeller such as yourself!

It’s great to see these oldies being given some love - I’ve got the classic Airfix 1/24 Bf109E on the go in the background that keeps calling me back and I’m loving it. 

Great inspiration!

Tom

Thanks Tom, appreciate the kind words. I agree, they are great kits, just needs some patience and loving here and there. You might have to give in to the call of the 109!

11 hours ago, hworth18 said:

Wow, That's just beautiful!! Great job!

Many thanks, it was a pleasure to build 

1 minute ago, Martinnfb said:

Beautiful , it was joy to follow your progress, the result looks mighty fine. :clap2:

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin, was a pleasure to post it here as it's a great forum. Next one will be posted from the start though, not half way through 

I have to say Volksjager that this is probably the finest build I have ever seen of this old Airfix 1/24 classic. The added detail is superb and the finish is excellent. You are right to be proud of it and I am glad that my own (still incomplete) build was the inspiration to get you started. The photography really shows off the build perfectly - and to me, that second picture perfectly shows how you've got the setting of the undercarriage perfect - it being very reminiscent of wartime pictures of the real thing!

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! I really look forward to seeing more of your work! Thank you for sharing it with us.

:clap2::bow:

Incidentally... my own build has stalled due to a rather misfortunate (and expensive) incident involving a cat:frantic:. Nothing that can't be sorted though.

Hi Volkesjager,

That's a lovely build, mate.   There are a lot of very high quality kits on the market these days and some of them are very expensive.   Your project proves that some of the old , cheaper classics scrub up very well with a bit of tender, loving care.     

On 7/27/2023 at 12:52 AM, mywifehatesmodels said:

Truly amazing work, on a bear of a kit! Just wow!

:clap2:

John

Thanks John, appreciate the kind comments, plenty of test fitting and it can be tamed.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:37 AM, Bonkin said:

I have to say Volksjager that this is probably the finest build I have ever seen of this old Airfix 1/24 classic. The added detail is superb and the finish is excellent. You are right to be proud of it and I am glad that my own (still incomplete) build was the inspiration to get you started. The photography really shows off the build perfectly - and to me, that second picture perfectly shows how you've got the setting of the undercarriage perfect - it being very reminiscent of wartime pictures of the real thing!

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! I really look forward to seeing more of your work! Thank you for sharing it with us.

:clap2::bow:

Incidentally... my own build has stalled due to a rather misfortunate (and expensive) incident involving a cat:frantic:. Nothing that can't be sorted though.

Thank you Kind sir ;) Hopefully your build hasn't been to setback by the cat incident! WIll be keen to see what your take on the kit will be and it you need any advice I will be more than happy to help. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, Grissom said:

Hi Volkesjager,

That's a lovely build, mate.   There are a lot of very high quality kits on the market these days and some of them are very expensive.   Your project proves that some of the old , cheaper classics scrub up very well with a bit of tender, loving care.     

Many thanks for the kind words. I agree 100%, with a bit of work the older kits clean up really nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good News! 

Over the weekend our scale modelling show was held here in Perth (WASMex) and, as promised, I entered the FW into the comp, in the Large scale modified category. Well, she did rather well

53099723286_148c3e5cff_b.jpg

It took 1st place in its category! I actually had a pretty good show. I took 6 kits along and brought home 3 Gold, a Silver and a Bronze as well as a high commendation. 

• 2 weeks later...