Heavy Attack - US Army AH-64E Apache Guardian

John1

Thanks Shayne, hope you get on with your build, it looks awesome so far.  

Quick update on mine.   I'm simply doing small sub-assemblies right now, killing time until Werner's Wing's gets around to releasing their decal set.    I need to get the decals on my helo before I start the final assembly.   So far, no progress from W-W, same status as 4 months ago - the artist is still working on it.   At this point, I'm now leaning towards passing on the W-W decals and just wrapping up this kit using the Caracal ones, even though they only have a very limited stencil selection and none of their subjects really jumps out at me.    We'll see. 

Anyhoo, first mini project were the countermeasure dispensers.  No extra details added to the kit parts, they are very accurate and don't need much, if anything added.   Originally, the Apache simply had a chaff dispenser and an ALQ-144 "Disco Light" IR countermeasure lamp fitted.   Multiple losses to modern MANPADS during the Iraq conflict showed that the -144 wasn't able to decoy modern IR-guided missiles.   The solution was to remove the Disco Light, add two flare dispensers on the tailboom and connect them to the missile warning system so that they would automatically deploy a "cocktail" of different flares when an incoming SAM was detected.   This system seemed to do a good job of minimizing shootdowns.   Here's a picture of the real thing.

f0zVY3i.jpg

Here's a great reference that was posted over on the Apache Builders FB page by a kind gent.   Shows the various types of flares and how they are loaded in the dispensers.   Each flare gives off a different infra-red signature, for optimum effectiveness against modern SAMs. 

aNArnFK.jpg

Here are my dispensers.   I'm just missing the warning placards that go on them.    The middle dispenser is loaded with chaff cartridges.  

NukqAvu.jpg

So that's it for now.   Thanks for checking in guys! 

Can’t help but notice that the pattern of payload modules in the photo of the guy next to the loaded dispenser is different than the “official” (if that’s what it’s meant to be) pattern shown in the drawing.  I’m guessing that’s a suggested base pattern that can be modified based on the circumstances.

I also hope that WW releases their decals soon too.  The E schemes on the Caracal sheet don’t really excite me.

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Can’t help but notice that the pattern of payload modules in the photo of the guy next to the loaded dispenser is different than the “official” (if that’s what it’s meant to be) pattern shown in the drawing.  I’m guessing that’s a suggested base pattern that can be modified based on the circumstances.

I also hope that WW releases their decals soon too.  The E schemes on the Caracal sheet don’t really excite me.

The pic of the guy loading the dispenser was taken in Syria within the last couple months.   The diagram matches up with the layout used in Iraq back in the OIF days (saw it on Apaches and Blackhawks).   Only takeaway from this is that the flare payloads change based on the threat.  

Next mini-update - the rotor head.    This thing takes quite a while to build up.   Many tiny plastic and PE parts, surprisingly none of which I lost!   Looking at the reference pictures, it seems that Takom did a nice job here.  All the features of the real thing are captured, only parts I added were wires that run from the hub to each individual rotor extension.   

Cy9vZPi.jpg

UUQFZSH.jpg

A note on the colors, the actual paint on the hub (and the model itself) is darker than what shows in these pictures.   Also, after looking at pictures of the real thing, I toned down the brown edges on those "plates".   I went over the paint with a dark brown "Sharpie" marker and they now look more accurate.  

That's it for now, thanks for dropping in! 

• 1 month later...

Bringing this build back from the dead.   Haven't been able to do much until Werner's Wings finally releases their decals (sounds like they may be out around Christmas time).   I did complete the tail rotor assembly.   Very complicated build.  Lots of small parts that you need to precisely align and again, the crappy instructions were of very little use. 

mSVp0bh.jpg

BvlqP4s.jpg

Also received a package from Italy.   Wonderfully 3D printed accessories.    Late style weapons pylons, 110 gal external tanks (the detail here is amazing, you can actually make out the carbon fiber surface on these tanks) and the MUMT-X rotor hub antenna housing.   Amazing quality here, this really is the future of aftermarket bits. 

WsL1tTL.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully I can finally wrap this build up once we get into the new year.     In the meantime, I've got my UH-60L build to keep me entertained.   

Thanks for checking in! 

• 3 weeks later...

So the wait for Werner's Wings decals continues into 2024.   In the meantime, I figured I'd pick away at some of the 3d printed parts that just arrived.    First up is the bizarre looking MUMT-X antenna housing.   I think I mentioned it previously, but this is housing is a brand-new addition to the Apache.   It allows the Apache crew to remotely control large UAV's from extended distances (upwards of 50KM or more from what I've read).   Supposed to be a game changer, as in addition to controlling the flight path and sensors, Apache crews can now employ the UAV's weapons as well.   It's definitely an interesting looking rig. 

1000w_q95.jpg

The picture above shows the basic MUMT-X housing.   These Apaches are also receiving yet another piece of kit as well.  It's a radio receiver set that mounts to the front and rear of the basic cylindrical housing.   This rig allows high quality direction finding of threat radar / radio signals.   The Apache can now precisely locate a threat emitter and either engage it, send the location to another Apache (or an Army HIMARS system or an AF jet) via data link or employee a nearby UAV to target the threat.    This system is also mounted on Longbow radar equipped Apaches.   The latest version is called the AN/APR-48B. 

5DNuDgh.jpg

Anyway, enough of the background info.   The MUMT-X antenna I received is wonderfully detailed.   It comes with complete with the exterior cables.    Pretty basic assembly, I painted the main antenna in Helo Drab and the two AN/APR boxes in NATO Green.  Most of the pics I've seen of the real thing show them to be a lighter greenish shade.  To that, I added a placard from my scrap decal stash, picked out some nuts and bolts in a darkish metal color and called it a day.   

k7cpmWr.jpg

q4oyiJk.jpg

sRzDdX7.jpg

So that's it for today.  Hope everyone has a safe, happy and productive 2024! 

John

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 3:35 AM, John1 said:

Thanks much Tom!   In retrospect, I wish I had waited for the late D, so many more marking options and cool, over the top weathering opportunities.      One note - if you are building the late D, keep in mind, as I mentioned above, that Takom neglected to include the CMWS control box that was added to the pilot's glareshied.    Not the end of the world if you don't include it but it is somewhat visible.   Here's the real thing:

amhH1Qr.jpg

On E-models, the CMWS was integrated into the main instrument panel so this box was only found on Deltas.    

This is a picture of a D (block 2) without CMWS box120424-F-EA289-006.JPG

Quick update on this long-shelved build, if anyone's interested.   I've been waiting for Werner's Wings to release their decals.   Originally was hoping they would be out last year, latest from WW is this summer.     I'll make it back with this one, just going to be (much) longer than anticipated.