1/32 Parrot Head - Advanced Training unit P-40N

KUROK

Some progress to show today.

I sprayed all of the parts that will be bronze green at the same time (except canopy interiors).

Humbrol 226 is a very pleasing bronze green to my eye.

Painting parts on the sprue does not make me a ten year old kid...especially if a good company like Hasegawa designs the gates well.

52857165353_20e98f4ff5_b.jpg

52857114300_0ba34f9215_b.jpg

52856725796_aa9db3aec3_c.jpg

52856141007_52281c8682_c.jpg

Progress is slow but I try to do one thing each day if I can.

These are the lap belts from the kit offered by our own Airscale!

They are a tough colored paper and metal etch parts.

Assembly of these took roughly 1 to 2 hours to do.

It is really not that hard but requires extra patience.  Each move of the fingers takes consideration and planning.

Stitching was accomplished with my 1/72 scale rivet wheel tool.  I may try to use thinned oil paint to try and add depth so you can see it better.

I did lose the latch piece to the carpet monster....but I found it right after I took the photo!

I'll take a photo of the finished seat once I have done the shoulder belt assembly.

52874547077_ceab8bf32a_b.jpg

3 hours ago, themongoose said:

Great job on those belts! So realistic. Well worth the hours.

Thanks.

Yesterday, I finished the shoulder belts.  I may experiment with pastels or oils to "dirty" them prior to attachment to seat.

I told myself to avoid getting bogged down with too much detail but the kit did not contain any seat belts.

You really cannot get away with not having some kind of belts especially in these larger scales.

The good news is these Airscale belts are very well made and look great.  I have one extra set and I may want to get a couple more for my stash of P-40s.

Actually, the more modern kits are what is pulling me back to larger scales...because all that needed detail is often baked right into the plastic!

I had an old Revell P-40 that would have required reworking just about everything to look good.  That was too much work.  This Hasegawa is a fantastic kit even at almost 20 years old now.

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of progress on cockpit.

Aftermarket placards are easy and really spruce it up.

I used the Hasegawa decals on the instrument panel.  It took about 15 applications of Solvaset to even get it to snuggle...somewhat.

A bit of Dullcote hides some of those sins.

52912096381_02e810fa7f_b.jpg

I am a cheapskate on supplies...

A friend of mine at work knew of my hobby and gave me a few Testors spray cans he had left over in his garage.

That was almost 20 years ago.  Today, I decanted them into little glass jars that once held jam.

I think the seal will be okay but I won't shake these.. and I coated the seal with Vaseline.

I lot of paint came out and it seems to be in good shape!

Being spray paint, i won't have to thin it much for airbrush.

52912161814_20aabe8883_b.jpg

Edited by KUROK

• 4 weeks later...

Progress.... but slow.  Real life keeps getting in the way.  LOL!

I told myself I would avoid AMS on this kit... but....

The strange, over-done rib tape detail on the control surfaces has been sanded down some.

Also, you can see I've added more rivet detail which I hope shows through the paint just a little bit.

52973240184_71d3d83148_b.jpg

Here are my tools of the riveting trade.  UMM 1/32 rivet tool...and a thin metal eraser shield from my college drafting kit!

52984427989_5fd663b9a1_b.jpg

It amazes me how the learning curve works.  The first wing panel went much slower.  This second one also is more accurately done too.

Hat is off to Hasegawa.  The lines end up where they should according to my drawings!

52984419944_43e3147f53_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Progress!

Riveting mostly done.  Fuselage has bee closed up and seam filling is going on.

One little enhancement I made: rudder cables installed using thin metal wire.

A small hole was drilled in the back bulkhead to pass them through.

I think it helps a lot and was easy!

53071911845_4d7a6aa1de_b.jpg

53071511276_379ab6e818_b.jpg

53070934592_35aef6d4b0_b.jpg

Edited by KUROK