Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

I removed the moulded on belts by removing the side walls, sanded the belts down by putting sand paper over a stick of wood (I think it formerly was something you get when going to a Chinese restaurant....). After that I rebuild the side walls using thin plastic card.

Cheers,

Reimund

Thank you both for your answers.
Actually there is no "easy" solution for me it seems...
Redo the seat by cutting it out or buy a resin kit.
What a brilliant idea REVELL had to mold the straps with the seat!
I'll try to sand the straps with something thin that fits in this small volume, we'll see...

It's true that this is a good idea too.
I will first try to scrape what I can with the scalpel blade and then finish with sandpaper.

Denis who feels he's going to cheat by gluing his new straps directly over the old ones...

Edited by Furie

Well, as the Shadoks say, "there is a solution to every problem, and if there is no solution, there is no problem!"
Or also: "If you keep trying, you will eventually succeed. So: the more it fails, the more likely it will work".

I scraped the straps with the tip of the scalpel to remove the bulk of the straps and then used pliers with sandpaper to tweak.
It's not too bad, the PE straps will cover everything.
I reassure myself as I can! :ph34r:

m2ik.jpg

Denis who says such "intelligent" things that, most of the time, he does not understand what he is saying. :P

Edited by Furie

Thanks Jay, that reassures me a bit but it's true that once everything is closed and glued, there's not much to see.
On the other hand, there is one thing that surprises me on this REVELL kit: the absence of the "gutters" on the floor, in front of the rudder pedals. 
There is nothing in this kit, it's all flat!
Can someone confirm this or did I forget to glue something?

quv6.jpgqi2c.jpg

I answer myself: looking at the picture of the cockpit that monthebiff posted a little higher on this topic, we can see that he added the famous "gutters"...
So they would be absent from the REVELL kit.

:BANGHEAD2:

It's unfortunate Revell included the floor part from their G-10 kit instead of their G-6 kit but sometimes things fall through the cracks. Andy sourced his from the ZM G-14 which includes both. I would send you one but it would probably take a couple of weeks and we don't want to slow you down:)

Jay

Well, big session of lead wire, steel, CA glue, toothpicks, pliers, patience, screaming and I think I cursed 20 or 30 times the engineers at REVELL.
The result is not great, but it is there.
I don't dare to do close-ups because it looks like "Macky" was flying his 109 G-2 with ski boots on, and he blew everything up inside!
On the picture, all the tools and products I needed to reproduce the "gutters".
And thanks again to REVELL!

I didn't think that retirement was something so tiring for my mental health!

Denis who really prefers to paint rather than to glue small pieces of anything for hours and hours.

a892.jpg

Edited by Furie

Nice bit of scratchbuilding Denis!  That will look much better under paint.  I sometimes look at my scratchbuilding efforts while they are unpainted and think they do not look that good, but after painting they look just fine.

Ernest

Thanks for your encouragement Ernest, it's really nice, even though I know I didn't exactly achieve what I wanted to do, because of the CA and those little bits of metal to shape and glue.
I had to make the 2 turns of the floor (left and right) out of plumb line, shape them, glue them and then add 5 wire reinforcements like in the picture of the real plane I posted. 

It really wasn't "easy-peasy".

This morning it's cleaning the parts with methylated spirits => black primer => RLM 66 => post-shadowing => drybrush etc etc... (All new things that I discover and that of course I don't master). 
I think that this evening or tomorrow the work will be well advanced.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Edited by Furie