Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

There must have been promotions on yellow paint in the local supermarket (Lidl, Carrefour, Walmart...).
One time, I put yellow paint all the way to the back, the next time I stop at the supercharger...
It was really a mess! A botched job !

giphy.gif

It's a "good thing" my compressor burned out, so I have time to do some photo analysis before its replacement arrives at home...

Edited by Furie

Very nice progress Denis.  I think the tonal variation of the cockpit paint looks quite good.  I have nothing to add to Paolo's advice concerning dry brushing as he hits the nail on the head so to speak.  As an aside I think dry brushing fell out of favor with the rise in the use of acrylic paints.  Enamel paints have a longer drying time and their formulation is perfect for dry brushing right out of the bottle.  Acrylic paints have to be manipulated using a retarder, wet pallete or both to get them to a consistency that is good for dry brushing.  As Paolo pointed out oils need to have the linseed oil mostly leeched out of them so that it does not leave the "drag lines" that it sounds like you experienced.  All that aside, your final efforts on the cockpit look excellent!

Ernest

Thank you Ernest for your encouragement and advice.
I have noted Paolo's advice and yours for the use of these oil paints.
I have so much to learn, but as I said on this topic, I am working slowly but surely, taking care to test these new techniques to try to master them.
Chi va piano va sano.
And well, we won't lie, I'm retired so I'm not really pressed for time!

Denis, who knows 5 words of Italian...

Hello friends, Denis is back in business, with his brand new compressor, the old one having decided to turn into heat and light!
It's a first price compressor (85€ on Amaz...) that won't be able to inflate the tires of a Jaguar, but that's not what I'm asking him.

5n7l.jpg

Today was a big discovery session for me:

-using the Mig AMMO varnish: the matte varnish is really good, but I had more trouble applying the glossy varnish. I may have applied too many layers of glossy varnish, instead of going on a little at a time. These varnish do not thin and the air pressure is indicated on the bottle.
-Using AK products (landing gear dust and grey panel liner): I can't do it too well, I make big blobs instead of just putting down what I need. However, in the tutorials I watch, it always goes very well...  
-Eduard's 3D decals: it's really amazing when you put them in place that you realize they are in relief, and it's really realistic.
-I used to improve the adhesion of the decals, the Mr HOBBY MARK SETTER. I read somewhere that it was a good product, so here it is.

-I had painted an aluminum undercoat (MRP which is really a great paint) and then the RLM66. With a toothpick I gently scraped the RLM66 to reveal the aluminum, but (you guessed it already) it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted (really amazing!). In some places the aluminum went away with the RLM66, leaving the plastic showing. As I'm a resourceful boy I first yelled loudly in the house (like an English rugby fan last Saturday!) and then I made some nice and delicate touch-ups with my magic-aluminum-pen. But to be on the safe side I didn't apply the paint directly with the pen, but using a 0000 brush impregnated with the paint.

bovr.jpg

Drum rolls!

TADAAAAAAAM !

5c2k.jpg

hw1t.jpg

As usual, your opinions, advice and criticism are welcome to know if from your point of view my work seems correct. Considering my level of beginner, it seems to me rather correct, but when I look at the models of Thunnus, I feel small, but small...

Thanks in advance. 

Tomorrow, fixing the harnesses of the PE pilot and walk in the forest with Itak, my Border Collie.  

Denis who is going to do still-life pictures ! ...and who is still quite happy with himself! :wub:

Edited by Furie

you have done a wonderful job painting that cockpit, the only thing missing is the map case on the sidewall and the oxygen panel under it , another Revell mistake, here are some reference also for the seatbelts position, keep the great modelling, cheers

Tony

10132-cockpit2.jpg

10132-cockpit3.jpg

Edited by Antonio Argudo

Thanks for the encouragement Tony, it's very nice of you.
Unless I'm mistaken, the picture with the box for the cards that you posted is of a Bf 109 F-4.
To be confirmed.
All the G-2 cockpit pictures I've seen don't show this card pocket.

Thank you Rampenfest.
When I see what you and some of the others on this forum are doing it motivates me to improve.
I try to observe, to dissect the methods you use.
For the implementation, it's another story!

1 hour ago, Furie said:

Thanks for the encouragement Tony, it's very nice of you.
Unless I'm mistaken, the picture with the box for the cards that you posted is of a Bf 109 F-4.
To be confirmed.
All the G-2 cockpit pictures I've seen don't show this card pocket.

no problem Furie, G2 straight from a russian lake

web-12.jpg

web-2021-12-11-T192352-311.jpg

G2 "Yellow 3"

Screenshot-4811.png

Unbelievable!
I have at least 4 monographs on the G-2 that show no pictures with this card holder!
I don't understand anything anymore, I'm going certifiably insane!
Thanks Tony, Inspector Denis will investigate tomorrow, looking for the missing card holder...

5 minutes ago, Furie said:

Unbelievable!
I have at least 4 monographs on the G-2 that show no pictures with this card holder!
I don't understand anything anymore, I'm going certifiably insane!
Thanks Tony, Inspector Denis will investigate tomorrow, looking for the missing card holder...

I don't see a souris either. :)

Excellent paint work on your cockpit!

Ryan

Bf 109 F :

iaso.jpg

Bf109F from the Ottawa museum:

pejt.jpg

Bf 109 G-2 :

tpsn.jpg

x8nk.jpg

ibkk.jpg

There is a snake in the grass, as I have no source of a G-2 with the card holder and yet your photos say the opposite...
The exception that proves the rule?

Edited by Furie