Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

There is a problem on the restored G-2 yelow 3:

On the official interior drawing of the time of a Bf109 F, one sees the 2 oxygen indicators (reperes D and C) placed behind the oxygen regulator block (repere A) : 

iaso.jpg

On the picture of the G-2 yellow 3, the 2 oxygen indicators are also placed behind the oxygen regulator block, as on a Bf109F :

Screenshot-4811.png

And when one reads the description of the restoration of this plane one reads:

But much has changed on the aircraft that went down in 1943. Restoration and reconstruction have considerably changed the object as found. Assemblages have been made using parts from other aircraft of the same type and some completely new parts have been constructed. 

The aircraft — The National Norwegian Aviation Museum

Is there a possibility that the restoration was not completely faithful to a G-2 and that the people who worked on it mixed the F/G versions?
I think it is the case, to be confirmed.

Edited by Furie

On official interior drawing of the time of the G-2, the 2 oxygen indicators are placed in front of the oxygen regulator block, on an inclined support. (Position reversed compared to an F)

126e.jpg

I am convinced that they mixed up the brushes and they made for the cockpit a mixture of F and G, in particular for the 2 oxygen indicators, and one can think that the card holder has nothing to make here.
But I'm open to discussion.
Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong!

:ph34r:

Edited by Furie

Wow, exciting story Tony!
Thank you very much for these details, I don't understand anything anymore, with documents from 109 G users who contradict each other and say everything and the opposite! 
So the oxygen indicators were moving around the cockpit as they pleased!  :P
It is nevertheless insane that all the known photographs of G-2 give the oxygen indicators with the front and only, yellow 3 has them with the back, in the manner of F-4.
Pre-production, G-1, G-3, G-2 "special", evolution according to the Wr and the date of manufacture of this position?

It was not very standardized all that it seems!
It would be necessary to contact members of a SIG Luftwaffe to have more information.
Many thanks to you!

Below is an extract from the technical documentation of a pressurized G-1 with this famous inverted position of the oxygen indicators, as on the yellow 3.

hh7m.jpg

Edited by Furie

I answer to myself and it was indeed a G-2 with Wr 14649 :

GERMAN: GELBE 3

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/r6, serial number 14649. An all-metal one-seater, single-engine fighter aircraft manufactured in 1942. Yellow 3 has a radio, but no pressurised cabin. Yellow 3 is in the collection of the Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum. 

The aircraft — The National Norwegian Aviation Museum

It is just necessary to accept that the position of this oxygen equipment varied from one plane to another...and that there were no strict standards.

abnm.jpg

w075.jpg

Bf109 F, G&K Prien/Rodeike

Edited by Furie

Very nice work on the cockpit Denis!  You did a great job painting it.  I use both a silver pen, similiar to the one you have, and a Prismacolor silver pencil to simulate chipping in the cockpit.  The pen for the areas that have the paint worn completely away; the pencil is used for worn areas or to simulate scuffing.  

I have quite a few of the same AK products you have.  To get finer more delicate effects I thin the product a little bit with white spirits and apply it in small amounts builing it up slowly as required. 

Keep up the great work! 

Ernest

1 hour ago, Greif8 said:

Very nice work on the cockpit Denis!  You did a great job painting it.  I use both a silver pen, similiar to the one you have, and a Prismacolor silver pencil to simulate chipping in the cockpit.  The pen for the areas that have the paint worn completely away; the pencil is used for worn areas or to simulate scuffing.  

I have quite a few of the same AK products you have.  To get finer more delicate effects I thin the product a little bit with white spirits and apply it in small amounts builing it up slowly as required. 

Keep up the great work! 

Ernest

Thanks for the encouragement, it gives me courage to persevere in this way: patience, ask questions, observe and try to reproduce as best as possible.
I thought that AK products should be used directly, and I didn't even think of diluting them with white spirit.

I have taken note of all your advice Ernest, thank you! :)

45 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Black 2 was a painstakingly restored G-2 and had no map case. I think it's safe to say some had them and some didn't.

Looking good Denis.

Thanks Mike, indeed all these documents confused me but in the end I think that this G-2 out of the water is rather the exception than the rule (self persuasion mode "on"). 
I just glued the 4 pilot harnesses, that's also new for me, and it's not an easy job, but I finally did it.
I'm going back!

:)

Hi everyone,

Just had to chime in and say that, to me, this thread is a perfect example of what this forum is all about; sharing information and educating like-minded people in a respectful and supportive manner.   It is precisely because of this harmonious approach that we all progress as modellers.   Sorry, but just my 2 cents worth...   Now, what did I do with my pop-corn?   

This is a very nice compliment and an excellent summary of what I wanted to do with this topic: show day by day my adventures with the new products on the market that I discover, the (difficult) recovery of a new old modeler or an old new modeler (as you want), the live tests of the products I bought with the opinion of a beginner, expose all the problems, the questions I ask myself during this WIP, ask the "recipes" of the most experienced among you, all this seriously but mostly in a good mood (well, I don't know if my sense of humor is appreciated because I have a lot of trouble transcribing jokes from French to English). 
To tell you the truth, I hesitated a lot before starting this topic because the level of modelling is such that I come to you with a lot of humility, a little bit like if I was here by mistake.
Well, I was not disappointed: a lot of advice, encouragement and benevolence.

Denis who feels as if he was only 5 inches high.

Edited by Furie

Come on, I'm getting to the end of this cockpit.
Fitting the 4 PE pilot harnesses with CA glue.
CA glue and me, it's not really a great love story, and we won't go on vacation together... 
One time I put too much, another time not enough, the part doesn't want to stay glued in the right place but instead it's my fingers that stick on the part, etc etc....
And as usual a huge surprise: everything went well!
I took care to bend the PE parts, to shape them so that they marry the seat as well as possible a little bit of glue, we stop breathing, in apnea, we pull out the tongue and...
...it works!   
As I sensed some time ago, the new PE pilot harnesses totally hide the old plastic molded pilot harnesses with the seat. I had sanded them down but there was still some plastic left because the seat part is small and hard to access.

Well, I'll leave all that aside and start preparing the fuselage and the wings.

A bientôt !  :)

Denis, who sticks his fingers as well as his PEs!

t4cy.jpg

Edited by Furie

5 hours ago, Grissom said:

Hi everyone,

Just had to chime in and say that, to me, this thread is a perfect example of what this forum is all about; sharing information and educating like-minded people in a respectful and supportive manner.   It is precisely because of this harmonious approach that we all progress as modellers.   Sorry, but just my 2 cents worth...   Now, what did I do with my pop-corn?   

Well said that Man from Oz, it’s precisely the reason that I’ve stuck around here, and long may it stay so.

Denis, you’re doing a fantastic job with your Bf109, but as one who’s been there…..don’t get too hung up trying to “get things right”! Standardization was a very rare phenomenon in WW2….do what you think is right, nobody will criticise you for that. 

Hello mozart, thank you very much for your message.
I have to admit that the pictures and drawings of the G-2 coming out of the lake surprised me, because they were not what I took for granted.
But it's still nice to have to look around to understand such a difference between a "normal" G-2 and a G-2 coming out of the lake...
The coloring of my G-2 will also give me some hesitations, but c'est la vie !

;)

I just discovered the banana bending machine, and you'll agree, it's not nothing!

Some time ago, after having painted my cockpit in aluminum and then in RLM66, I tried to scratch the gray to make the aluminum color appear, with crappy results...
Suddenly, a flash of genius, worthy of Newton or Pasteur: I cut the tip of my toothpick in a bevel, and it worked at first, a little too much but I finally understood the trick.
This trick is dumb as a doorknob, but it works!

I promise you, I'm ashamed of myself for how simple it is and for not having thought of it before. I'd slap myself in the face sometimes... :wacko:

For those who are hesitating, the Eduard PE + Decals 3D set brings a lot of realism at a lower cost.
And unless you work with boxing gloves, it doesn't require alien dexterity. If I can do it, then anyone can do it.

In the foreground, the now famous bevelled toothpick® and some pictures of the fully assembled cockpit 2.0.

I took advantage of my "discovery" to redo (aluminum + RLM66 + varnish) the horizontal plate where the 2 pilot harnesses are fixed as well as the plate just behind at 45°).

When you like it, you don't count!

Hasta la vistababy !  :lol:

Denis, who doesn't want to put a card holder in his cockpit! :ph34r: (And then it's a bit late!)

1450793-33840-94-720.jpg

ija9.jpgbthe.jpgo0ks.jpg

Edited by Furie