Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

41 minutes ago, Hoss FL said:

Yes, my interpretation was that the intent was to tone down the yellow engine cover with the darker RLM 70 spots. I'm thinking the ground crew applied the spots with a ~3-inch brush.  

Here are a few photos from different angles. I applied the spots with a toothpick using Mission Models acrylic paint, attempting to follow the photos closely for size, position and density. I smoothed the surface down with some micro mesh after the spots were dry and then applied the flat coat. Hope it helps. 

Tw21esw.jpg

OpCFUz7.jpg

8hMMc0q.jpg

Thank you for your response Hoss.
Wow, your "Macky" is sensational!
Absolutely superb!
And of course it will help me!
Thanks for the description of your technique for the leopard spots!    
I still have one big doubt: the color of the front quarter of the spinner....
Green or red?
I had the idea of green, but without any certainty.

46 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

Furie,

If I'm reading this correctly, you still are looking for an armored headrest with the leather padding? You may want to see if anyone closer to you has that part from a Hasegawa kit. I'm willing to bet it would fit, or could be modified to fit without too much trouble. I could check my spares and send you one, if I have it, but you may have better (faster) luck with someone on your side of the pond. Sculpting one from milliput or a similar putty would also be an option, but the buttons/snaps would be the tedious part.

Looking great!

John

Thank you mywifehatesmodels (I recognize myself in your nickname!), it's really nice of you to offer me this missing piece.
But I think I'll make it with scratch, from air-drying modeling clay.
To make the headrest buttons, I think a syringe needle of the right diameter will make a good impression in the putty.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Denis, who is really on an exceptional forum.

I was wondering about the technique the mechanics used to paint those leopard spots.

I think more for stains done with a brush rather than an airbrush.

Reasons:

-already on the picture, I see brush strokes, well compacted and not blurred or diffused like with an airbrush
-this "field" modification must have been done in a hurry by the mechanics to make the "Macky" more "stealthy" in flight. And when you have to hurry to repaint a plane in the depths of the Russian steppe, you take what you have at hand, in a rush.
So brush.

Edited by Furie

A lot of the aircraft of that unit certainly had hand-painted spots on their cowls. Some of them even appear to have been painted with rags or sponges. My advice would be to experiment a little and see what looks right to you. The last G-2 I did was similar. I used a brush and wasn't totally satisfied with it, but called it "good enough". I've since thought about going back to repaint it using an airbrush, but will probably just leave it as it is. As for the base color being RLM 04 or RLM 76, that can be a tough call and I think both were probably present on various machines. I lean more towards the RLM 76 camp:DodgeBall:, but again, it would also depend on the specific airframe. 

I don't normally like to post pictures of my own builds in other people's threads, but for the sake of reference....

2.jpg

Regards,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

35 minutes ago, Furie said:

Thank you for your response Hoss.
Wow, your "Macky" is sensational!
Absolutely superb!
And of course it will help me!
Thanks for the description of your technique for the leopard spots!    
I still have one big doubt: the color of the front quarter of the spinner....
Green or red?
I had the idea of green, but without any certainty.

Thanks Furie. It was a toss up for green or red on the spinner. I found profiles depicting each and just went with red. I couldn't find anything explaining the meaning of the colors and couldn't tell which color from the photos. 

13 minutes ago, mywifehatesmodels said:

A lot of the aircraft of that unit certainly had hand-painted spots on their cowls. Some of them even appear to have been painted with rags or sponges. My advice would be to experiment a little and see what looks right to you. The last G-2 I did was similar. I used a brush and wasn't totally satisfied with it, but called it "good enough". I've since thought about going back to repaint it using an airbrush, but will probably just leave it as it is. As for the base color being RLM 04 or RLM 76, that can be a tough call and I think both were probably present on various machines. I lean more towards the RLM 76 camp:DodgeBall:, but again, it would also depend on the specific airframe. 

I don't normally like to post pictures of my own builds in other people's threads, but for the sake of reference....

2.jpg

Regards,

John

The question to ask in the absence of color photos is: were there any G-2s with engine covers painted on top in RLM 76? in RLM 04?
Personally, I have seen a lot of 109's of the JG52 with entirely yellow engine covers. 
But with a RLM 76 top, it is much rarer.
If you have pictures of such aircraft I would be really interested to see them.
John, the picture of your 109 is quite appropriate, it has all its utility in this topic. ;)

Edited by Furie

I was actually just looking through the photos I have on my computer of such aircraft and, unfortunately, nothing definitive and most have already been posted here. There is one possible clue, however. Generally speaking, the yellow on Eastern Front F/G cowls would extend backwards for the entire length of the upper cowl panel. Note how many of these machines do NOT show that feature, but instead what appears to be the normal top colors going into the cowl and the paint often matches that of the rest of the aircraft. Again, not necessarily a complete answer, but a clue, perhaps?:shrug:

Here was the main reference photo for my build, which also exhibits that feature (and you can see why I wasn't completely satisfied with my own representation. Mine isn't "tight" enough).

1-Bf-109-G-II-JG52-W2-Russia-1942-01.jpg

John

45 minutes ago, Hoss FL said:

Thanks Furie. It was a toss up for green or red on the spinner. I found profiles depicting each and just went with red. I couldn't find anything explaining the meaning of the colors and couldn't tell which color from the photos. 

A beginning of answer ?
Anyway, I'll go digging in my archives to validate or not the green color to check this story of green color for the Gruppenstab JG52.
Read pvanroy's post :

Generally speaking, the yellow on Eastern Front F/G cowls would extend backwards for the entire length of the upper cowl panel.

Do you mean that the yellow was going backwards to the windshield?
Or did I misunderstand what you said?

This is an F-2, but it illustrates what I'm talking about. The actual cowl panel over the engine, itself, is yellow and has been painted with RLM 75 in this instance. I know there were variations on this, but generally, the entire engine cowling is yellow, with the panel between the windscreen and the cowl being the same camouflage colors as the rest of the airframe. Again, there are always exceptions.

John

Hans-von-Hahn-109-F-027.jpg

I forgot to add...

If you compare this to Macky's aircraft (as well as the G-2 from JG52 that I modeled), you can see how the original camo on these aircraft actually extends onto the rear portion of the cowl panels. It would appear that it was never yellow before that. I hope that makes sense (but does anything Luftwaffe?:lol:)

John

Yes, I hadn't thought about this configuration of yellow.
2 perfect examples with the "straight" yellow and the "backward shifted" yellow (as you said)

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F4-7.JG52-White-1-Ha

p0lr.jpg

Edited by Furie