Manfred von Richthofen´s Fokker Dr.I | Meng 1/24th scale

jeepers - missed this earlier . Out of this world ! can you describe some of the weathering techniques? Looks like some salt chipping/ masking? Love the underside upfront. I've just been getting into some Wingnut Wings kits and reading about the different liveries and colourings. The germans used a streaking camo application at times. is this what is depicted here? The prop is amazing too - is the wood grain a decal or is it painted? the wheels are crazy good . i love dirty planes. 

16 hours ago, Jboldt007 said:

jeepers - missed this earlier . Out of this world ! can you describe some of the weathering techniques? Looks like some salt chipping/ masking? Love the underside upfront. I've just been getting into some Wingnut Wings kits and reading about the different liveries and colourings. The germans used a streaking camo application at times. is this what is depicted here? The prop is amazing too - is the wood grain a decal or is it painted? the wheels are crazy good . i love dirty planes. 

Thanks for your comment!

No salt used, I included some speckling of washes and earth effect for oil, dust and dirt. Yes. sreaking camo , decals set by Aviattic. Propeller is flat base coat of Tamiya buff and wood grain with pencils (first try of this technique). HTH!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gaining a real appreciation for this era after having purchased some WnW kits - extreme experimentation, variety, and lots of elan and colourful livery. it amazes me that even during this early era most of the dynamics of flight were understood already - even compressibility. it's just that you had to do everything out of wood, canvas, and wire. Until the times of fly by wire, not much had really changed - mainly engine technology such as supercharging and monocoque bodies.