1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV

sandbagger

Hi all,
The cockpit and top coaming panels now fitted.
As usual, most of the cockpit detail is not visible.
The green paint or dope over the Fokker effect metal panels was oil paint.
'Mig' 3506 Field Green (Oil Brusher) applied then removed using a soft, broad brush with 'Mig' Odourless thinners.
The applied Fokker effect can still be seen through the paint.

More weathering has to be applied so this is just the base covering.

Mike

fuse4.jpg

fuse5.jpg

fuse6.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Fuselage more of less complete now.
'Flory Models' Dart Dirt clay wash and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set A and C.
'AK Interactive' Kerosene wash used under the fuselage at the engine.
Decals applied and sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311).

Now it's onto painting and pre-rigging before building continues,

Mike

fus9.jpg

fus10.jpg

fus11.jpg

Very excellent craftsmanship Mike.  I always learn a lot following you builds and reading through your website.  I will be building the 1/32 Meng Fokker Triplane pretty soon.  I often build aircraft flown by either little known or unknown pilots, but this time I will be building von Richthofen's all red triplane using the aviattic decals.  That should be a challenge, and hopefully I will be up for it.

Ernest

31 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Very excellent craftsmanship Mike.  I always learn a lot following you builds and reading through your website.  I will be building the 1/32 Meng Fokker Triplane pretty soon.  I often build aircraft flown by either little known or unknown pilots, but this time I will be building von Richthofen's all red triplane using the aviattic decals.  That should be a challenge, and hopefully I will be up for it.

Ernest

Hi Ernest,

A good choice to build the Fokker DR.1.

It's a sturdy model and has very little external rigging required.

The cockpit to upper wing control cables for the ailerons (two each side).

The upper/underside cables at the ailerons.

The rudder/elevator cables at the tail unit.

The cross bracing on the landing gear and fuselage cabane struts.

The 'Aviattic' decals will make a lot of difference to the final finish of the model,

Mike

Hi all,
The support pylon in front of the cockpit is moulded to scale.
This makes the pylon weak and liable to distortion or breaking if subjected to stress.
In addition, despite the good key supports in the fuselage for the wings, the weight of the wings does impart a downward leverage (anhedral).

Therefore, as with my E.1 model, I chose to replace the pylon and its cable pulley.

The cable pulley was cut from three 2.5 mm diameter and two 1.75 mm diameter discs of 0.2 mm thick plastic card. 
The pylon was made from 1.0 mm and 0.6 mm Brass tube with 0.4 mm diameter Brass rod, on which are two 'Gaspatch' 1:32nd scale Type C turnbuckles.
The parts were soft soldered together and the cable pulley secured onto the 0.5 mm rod.
A holes of 0.2 mm diameter was drilled through the flattened front tube to allow rigging lines to be attached,

Mike

vstrut.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The rest of the parts have now been painted and decals added.
'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash used for weathering/stain.
Over sprayed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) to seal the finish.

Now onto pre-rigging before final assembly,

Mike 

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

Boy those burnished cowlings really look good! I have this kit as well, and I was considering covering those parts with foil and actually burnishing them with a felt tip in my dremel tool and some polishing abrasive, then weathering and clear coating them. Do you think that would work?

Tim

8 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Boy those burnished cowlings really look good! I have this kit as well, and I was considering covering those parts with foil and actually burnishing them with a felt tip in my dremel tool and some polishing abrasive, then weathering and clear coating them. Do you think that would work?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I guess foil could work, but the slightest crease on a rounded cowl surface would show.

Also it seems a lot of effort, when you can just airbrush 'Alclad' (as I do) or similar metal paints or use buffable paints, such as 'Mr. Color'.

It would be an interesting experiment though,

Mike

Good idea on rebuilding the support pylon. The anhedral seems to be a constant on a lot of Eindecker builds, good to see you devising a solution.  Bit surprised someone like Aerocraft hasn't released something similar yet.

Matt 

Hi all,
Getting close to the finish now,
Rigging completed using 0.08 and 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with 0.4 and 0.5 mm diameter blackened Brass tubes.
'Gaspatch' 1:48th/1:32nd and 'Proper Plane' 1:32nd scale turnbuckles.

Just the gun sights, windscreen, foot steps and propeller to fit.
Also the display case and figure,

Mike

rigdone1.jpg

rigdone2.jpg

rigdone3.jpg

rigdone4.jpg

Edited by sandbagger