Dewoitine D. 520 Azur 1:32

Borsos

There was no way to save the canopy hood. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t get it clear again although I ended up using tooth paste for polishing. So there was no other way than to go the hard way. I cut and sanded a stamp out of balsa wood following the dimensions in the scale plans. Then I vacuformed a new hood.

img_1301duel6.jpeg

Masking and painting…

img_13023hehq.jpeg

…and attaching the new part to the fuselage. Ironically the new part fit way better than the Squadron canopy hood and I only needed to add some glue. These are the darker spots on the frame. When it’s all cured, I‘ll cover it up with matt varnish

img_13032tih7.jpeg

it looks much better now and I am happy again.

14 hours ago, Furie said:

Hello Borsos and congratulations on the quality of your model, it's absolutely superb.
I enlarged your last photos and I don't see any particular problems with your canopy.
I imagine you had some white vapors deposited on the canopy because of the CA glue?
Personally, I bought this to glue canopies securely without leaving catastrophic marks on them:

ak-interactive-ak9323-colle-magique-cris

Yes, thank you for the hint! I even have a bottle of this glue at home. But the stuff I had used before was the other one on the right.

img_1304k8eiv.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Borsos said:

Have you noticed that I glued the canopy hood the other way round? :BANGHEAD2:

Corrected :D

Sometimes, when it just doesn't want to, it doesn't want to...

Edited by Furie

The Ammo ultra glue instructions state that you can glue PE parts as well as transparent plastic parts.
My experience was not conclusive with the canopy, which came off the fuselage very (too) easily.
That's why I bought AK crystal, which I think is much more suitable and offers a much stronger bond.
But I haven't tested it for real yet.

Edited by Furie

Ammo Ultra glue is just another PVA glue with a fancy name.

I have these for sticking PE and transparent styrene: 

IMG-3889.jpg

I paid €5.40 for the ‘canopy glue’ and €0.95 for the other. Guess which one I’m using the most? :P

15 hours ago, Furie said:

The Ammo ultra glue instructions state that you can glue PE parts as well as transparent plastic parts.
My experience was not conclusive with the canopy, which came off the fuselage very (too) easily.
That's why I bought AK crystal, which I think is much more suitable and offers a much stronger bond.
But I haven't tested it for real yet.

The AK Crystal is the glue of choice for clear parts I think. It dried relatively quickly (it was sticky after about 15 minutes) and the bond seems to be way stronger than just PVA.

11 hours ago, quang said:

Ammo Ultra glue is just another PVA glue with a fancy name.

I have these for sticking PE and transparent styrene: 

IMG-3889.jpg

I paid €5.40 for the ‘canopy glue’ and €0.95 for the other. Guess which one I’m using the most? :P

At least you seem to know where your tools are. My workbench is often so messy (especially when it comes to the end of a project) that I frequently can’t find what I‘d need most…

I definitely need to clean my workbench very soon!

Well, she’s fnished. That was a long journey!

img_1315iydxb.jpeg
img_1316pccix.jpeg
img_13177yc0j.jpeg

img_1318zqe28.jpeg

img_13197vct8.jpegimg_1320wveme.jpeg

Why no exhaust stains? Well, I‘ve only seen Dewoitines in German service that show exhaust stains, and these look very stark. Could be caused by the lower quality fuel they used.

In fact I haven’t seen any French machine from 1940 showing any exhaust stains at all. So I decided to leave them off for some days and rethink if I‘ll add some very light stains or none at all.

Better pictures with neutral background as soon as possible and after sorting out the exhaust question :D

Andreas

Edited by Borsos