Dewoitine D. 520 Azur 1:32

Borsos

Thank you very mich for your interest and your friendly comments.

Meanwhile I gave the kit a shot if VMS gloss clear coat and finally made a choice for the markings. I can’t see anything wrong with the kit decals, but I wanted a battle of France Dewoitine and no Vichy yellow and red. So I got a set of Berna decals. Although I could also have done the national markings by airbrush using Montex masks I went with the decals. I was lazy. And as laziness always is a great idea, I was rewarded with very thick decals that hardly reacted to setting solutions like Micro Set and Sol. After using a hair dryer I was finally satisfied and I repainted shadows with highly diluted Mr Hobby smoke. Another gloss coat, threatening the panel lines with oils and a coat of VMS matt brought me to this:

c4daad58-4241-4711-bwder4.jpeg

a82d56f7-fda9-445b-acdfdj.jpeg

efd1b72f-0228-4659-as7efb.jpeg

Rough handling and bad karma (laziness?) caused me damaging the small PE radiator under the nose. When I looked for a solution to repair the damage I realized that I had done the complete lower nose section wrong.

ee364051-35cf-40c3-826d3y.jpeg

Better now, but still wrong :BANGHEAD2:

Best regards,

Andreas

Thank you all very much for your kind words!

Today I found an envelope from France in my letter box:

93d7b1fe-b357-4e50-9xjdn1.jpeg

these parts look wonderful and I hope I can do them justice. Many thanks again to Waroff! This is an amazing gesture!

Now I ned to find some balsa wood to sand the core for a new spinner. And I need to dust off my old vacuform box…

But before I was occupied with some carpenter’s work. It’s my standard size for WW2 single engined fighter plane bases. Some intense sanding comes next (I think it is a good idea to do this far away from the model).

bf88e35e-dec0-4535-a2sig7.jpeg

Best regards,

Andreas

I've really enjoyed following along with this, Andreas. It's great to see what can be achieved with this kit.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:41 AM, Borsos said:

If I weren’t that deep in 1:32 scale since some 9 years, I‘d simply have dug out my Tamiya kit in 1:48.

If you're not going to build the Tamiya kit...Christmas is coming and I've been a good boy! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I tried to rush this for finishing it before a very special date. At first I ruined the sliding part of the canopy when removing the masking. I had to strip it and paint it again. Then I ruined the painted rudder and had to strip it too. Well, since last Sunday I am father again and all my kids — the new one as the older ones — and my wife just need me more at the moment than I need my workbench. This project is on halt until I can get back to it without feeling the need to rush again. 
Best regards,

Andreas

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Great aircraft, I regret very much that the French planes from the 1940 campaign are almost a white spot in 1/32 scale. Maybe thanks to the activity of people like you, some manufacturer will see the possibilities for a good quality model in this subject.

Regards

Lukasz