Mitsubishi A5M4 'The Father of the Zero'

kkarlsen

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

beautiful airplane, nice kit, superb works on it!

i read somewhere that these kites had a "golden varnish" on their surfaces, maybe a downgraded/faded clear protective... do you have any ideas on that?

Thank you Paolo! Yes I know about the 'golden varnish' and I will try to find a way to make this work.

The last thing I want to do is a nice shiny new aircraft. I'm hoping to achieve some kind of weathering, blending different tones.

Maybe my preferred weathering method will be applied in some way, salt-weathering.

Cheers: Kent

This weekend I managed to finish the riveting, fix the cockpit in place and to begin the assembly of the fuselage and wings..

ixBzTcy.jpg

The riveting of the fuselage halves..

nKC9xc6.jpg

Top wings..

RDXWfzx.jpg

And elevators..

toRRazD.jpg

View of the cockpit in place..

aKoxlsK.jpg

The cockpit with some extra detailing...

TY71TZI.jpg

Fuselage assembly with a closer look of the riveting... Notice the slot for the scratched wing spar...

tCYBWWL.jpg

I had to do some work to get the wings to fit the fuselage. In the end I resorted to building a 'wing spar' firstly to keep the alignment right of the middle wing.

It has to be horizontal and also because the top wings doesn't have the same thickness as the wing root, it's sagging. In this way I solved both problems ;)

PWPwTjb.jpg

Almost there!

5 hours ago, GroovyPapa said:

Sorry for the noob question, what specific "riveting" tool do you use? This is simply mind-boggling work. I'd like to start off on the right foot as it were, and need advice on what to use to accomplish this? Thanks!

Not at all, here you go: Kent

ehErWfS.jpg

5 hours ago, mc65 said:

wooooah! :wub:

top notch work! Do you mind if I take notes and shamelessly copy? I have the same kit in stock waiting for the right mojo...

cheers, Paolo

Thank you Paolo, if I can be any assistance to your build, just ask!

Further progress... Preparations for the painting.

SIJ85Zi.jpg

The A5M4 is assembled.

Then I took a brake from the A5M4 to start working on the carrier deck display base.

b6t4Zto.jpg

4 mm strips of balsa wood stained in different tones to make a natural wood deck.

ccX2BZl.jpg 

couldn't resist to try the arrangement for the base.

Next the weathering: There are photos that suggest at least some of the A5M4 had some weathering..

1jH2iiu.jpg

IEDsYM9.jpg

Qe2t6cb.jpg

1jLG8QY.jpg

These photos gave me the courage to start the weathering process. I didn't want to do another A5M4 which came right of the factory.

KWeXwXA.jpg

Continuing on with the salt weathering...

4uxTFW6.jpg

It's a mess but it does the job...

bPpYKIx.jpg

Wv5Dla6.jpg

mwpkKk7.jpg

The result of the salt weathering...

JsEuEcc.jpg

Next I used some diluted clear orange with a mask, to add the shade of the lacquer at least used by some of the carrier based A5M4.

a22UTnQ.jpg

The engine has been fitted.

wrZNkHA.jpg

RKg5ucv.jpg

4jiE3rO.jpg

And the landing gear. I like the 'battered' worn look of the aircraft. After all I didn't want to do another 'shiny' A5M4 coming right out of the factory.