Andy's Hobby HQs 1/16th M4A3 76W HVSS Sherman is up for Pre-Order!

On 7/25/2022 at 4:00 AM, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Yeah I was very surprised by the price myself!  

Someone is making a set of  US Tank riders for it too. 

https://armorama.com/news/u-s--m4a3e8-sherman-tank-riders

I hope this kit does well enough it gets them to do more. They could very easily do a M4A3 75W HVSS and VVSS using most of the molds from this kit. They could do an M4A3 105 too. 

Jeff Shiu´s figures are absolutely the very best of the best  - he has quite a collection available by now. 

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/products.html

2 hours ago, eoyguy said:

Yes same kit. I'm sure they have some kind of agreement with Andy to put their logo on it since they are doing all the design, molding, etc. I wouldn't be surprised that if at some point down the road, we didn't see a boxing of it of their own, perhaps with other options. But yeah, its the same kit.

I'm really hoping with the success of this large scale Sherman, we will see other adaptions. A 105 Sherman would be very easy since the M4A3 105 HVSS was pretty common. They could also do an M4A3 76W VVSS with a small amount of effort.  Once they have done VVSS, that opens them up for the M4A2 76w tanks in both HVSS and VVSS since you really don't have to change the hull much for those. 

The big leap would be them redesigning the upper hull to go from the late 47 degree front hull to the early 56 degree hull with the various drivers hood types. The Sherman is so modular, once you have one set of major components you can really get several models without to much redesigning the whole thing. The least likely I think is any of the M4A1 cast hulls, since that requires a whole new upper hull design, two, if you want the early 56 degree version.  

There are some options for M4A1 upper hulls in resin, for the RC scene, that can be adapted, but they are not great looking.  

If 1/16th in tanks gets popular, and I don't see why it wouldn't, I might never build another 1/35!

• 1 month later...

He has a new announcement coming in 1/16.  I really only have one item that would be a must have personally.  I love the SAS jeep and since a jeep has been done, if someone had the wisdom to tool a SAS variant or offer an upgrade set, I would be buying that.  I build the Tamiya kit when I was 8 or 10 and it has been a subject I have wanted to revisit for most of my adult life.  SOL model does a beutiful all resin set of the complete Jeep and all in 1/16, if they released the parts I would be in I just don:t want to do a full resin jeep.    

36 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I just hope he transitions to VVSS variants. Much more variation possible in markings and theaters.

Me too, the HVSS is cool, but the vast majority of Shermans saw combat has VVSS. 

It would be very interesting if they built the VVSS up like it was in real life, that way, they could just have a parts tree for early, mid and late VVSS, that would have the upswept arm, spacers, and different skids. Since the roller arm could  be mounted on either side, making the parts all universal, it would be a clever way to use the mounting holes that always get left out of VVSS. 

UPS tracker says mine will be here tomorrow, so that's pretty cool.   I have not had a chance to work on the little Shermans much, had a kidney stone, then another dose of Covid, with a back and neck injury mixed in. All is back on track, so, maybe I'll start on it. 

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I just hope he transitions to VVSS variants. Much more variation possible in markings and theaters.

One of my kits, an airplane perhaps, had a pair of stainless steel volute springs in it. That type of spring is an interesting design, I'll say that.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

One of my kits, an airplane perhaps, had a pair of stainless steel volute springs in it. That type of spring is an interesting design, I'll say that.

There is a 1/35 Sherman that comes with working volute springs. I think its the Meng Jumbo. Blew me away. I was a little sad the HVSS on this kit just wobbles, instead of working the way the real one does. I understand he had to keep the costs uncontrol. Making the suspension more complicated would have added who knows how much to the end cost! 

23 minutes ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

There is a 1/35 Sherman that comes with working volute springs. I think its the Meng Jumbo. Blew me away. I was a little sad the HVSS on this kit just wobbles, instead of working the way the real one does. I understand he had to keep the costs uncontrol. Making the suspension more complicated would have added who knows how much to the end cost! 

I figured it out. There was one, I'd thought there were two, in the Tamiya P-51D

16 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

Not to mention, to what end? I know you could make a diorama with one and articulate the suspension, but that's probably .000000001 percent of how these will be built. As you said, the added cost really couldn't be justified.