Thunderbolt Mk II in Burma (Hasegawa 1:32) - FINISHED

MikeC

19 hours ago, nmayhew said:

these schemes look pretty good, even if they lack a lot of the glamour of the US NMF birds

looks well put together

camo job has some interest to it

suggestions / personal preference

it's waaay too clean for me

i still consider myself a 'learner' where aircraft weathering is concerned, but i think you have a great canvas with these RAF Bolts and for me the overall effect looks rather plain given the lack of grime

this could be where you could really go to town with oils, and the beauty of that medium is that if you f*ck it up, you just wipe clean with mineral spirits (assuming you haven't painted with enamels!) and start over - that's your "Ctrl+Z" ; and if you do some bits you really like, you just shoot some MRP semi gloss over the relevant area as a "Ctrl+S"

anyway, I hope that is useful for either this or a future build

thanks for sharing

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I did vacillate between a rather colourful 9th AF bird (Maj Perego's "Slick Chick") and this: in the end the RAF won out as I saw someone else had done "Slick Chick" in a mag, and I like to have something unusual on my shelves.  Add to that, that WWII in Burma is often called "the  forgotten war", and it just had to be done.  Also, if I'm honest, it wasn't bare metal.

Perhaps you're right on the weathering.  I do tend to err on the side of "less is more", and perhaps don't go far enough at times.  There is some grime depicted, using pastel chalks, but it does not show up that well on the photos.  I was trying primarily to get a faded look on the paintwork: I'm not sure I entirely succeeded, but lessons noted for the next weathered bird I try.  It is a bit cleaner than the subject in my reference film, which means it's depicted before the film was shot - or possibly after, and it's had a wash (it did happen sometimes) :).

Anyway, many thanks for taking time to give your feedback, appreciate it.

Edited by MikeC

43 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Nice looking finish Mike .  :thumbsup:

...Tiger Moth ...

Thanks Mike, and spot on about the Tiggie, in fact two of them, one as an RAF Reserve Flying School aircraft post-war, the other as G-APFU as in my avatar.