1/32 scale MiG-21MF from Eduard ( future release pool)

Martinnfb

1/32 Mig-21MF from Eduard  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Eduard to release Mig-21MF in 1/32 scale

• HELL YES !!!
    • Nopity nope

1 hour ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I was told a few years ago that the molds for a big kit can cost $100,000 EACH to produce. However, since then, I've read that the Chinese manufacturers have worked out how to cut these costs in half (I have no idea how - fully computer-controlled cutting processes, perhaps?).

Cheers.

Chris. 

$100k is a good number in itself, but way far from what it would take for a modern jet. That is about the cost of only one sprue! Small early jets and WW2 fighters, maybe... and with a lot of compromises even then.

$100k is nothing in investment to brands like Tamiya, Trumpeter, Hasegawa and so on. There would be 1/32 new kits raining everywhere if that were the case. 

There was a time when the state subsidized Chinese companies invested in machinery about 15 years ago and that is when Trumpeter thrived with its current line of products, but that is unfortunately impossible with the current costs now.

I hope you all pay attention a bit to what I have to say, because this is closely related to my field. A modern jet about the size of an F-18 and such would cost around at least $500-600k with all the new tooling. 

This here I hope helps a bit to convince the skeptical. That is an injection mould rough cost estimation for one sprue of 40cm x 30cm. We all know at least five or six of this would be required for a kit. Note that price would rise with higher quantity and complexity is set to Custom, which is generally less than what we need for a detailed kit with intricate shapes... And not to mention that this is the plastics only, the rest of a product box needs to be added. 

Sorry to be the bad guy to break any dreams, but I am realistic. No harm in having fun of course, let's keep dreaming and making wishlists. Who would have thought of a 1/32 Lanc ten years ago after all... only with the fact that it comes with a hefty price tag, which is explained by the table below. Eduard can then perhaps be convinced to make a 1/32 MiG-21 if only they consider to sell it maybe for $400. 

Injection-Moulding-Cost-Sample.png

Edited by Violator1991

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Well, I have a solution to the manufacturing cost problem.. Someone get a hold of Elon Musk and get him interested in build plastic models.. Problem solved :thumbsup:.  

I think he'd only be interested in 3D-printed stuff made out of crunchy snack purée. We'd get a 1/144 space rocket corn cheese puff, though that might make you f@rt in your spacesuit.

Tony

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well, I have a solution to the manufacturing cost problem.. Someone get a hold of Elon Musk and get him interested in build plastic models.. Problem solved :thumbsup:.  

Buy Eduard, add a propane torch to their 1/48th Mig-21 and then sell neural implants that make it look like a 1/32nd kit. Then, buy LSP and go after people who figure it out.

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

I think he'd only be interested in 3D-printed stuff made out of crunchy snack purée. We'd get a 1/144 space rocket corn cheese puff, though that might make you f@rt in your spacesuit.

Tony

Elon: Light ‘em with my flamethrower. Cheap thrust. See you on Mars, loser.

Adam