IJN Yamato in 1/200 Scale (New Tool)

Uncarina

I love looking through kit instructions, this kit is so very impressive, but I can:t help but think how nice the newest 1/350 Yamato Tamiya kit is and a much more reasonable size.  Also especially you can see with a ship kit, bigger kit means lots more small parts not fewer bigger parts.  

• 5 weeks later...

Just ordered mine from Amazon Smile for $499 plus $30 shipping. I built the old tool Tamiya kit years ago, backdated it to the Leyte Gulf configuration. It turned out great but excess summer heat shrunk the monofilament rigging to the point I’ll have to cut it out. I’ll know better this time!

BTW, if anyone is interested I have a new in the box 1/16 Das Werk Panzer I’ll sell at a good price. Have to make room somehow!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

10 hours ago, Maxim61 said:

The kit instructions for the Yamato can be downloaded here. Start planning your build. Hate to see what the Pontos set is going to set us back.

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/media/products/5058052000_MA_Building_Instructions.pdf

I had actually downloaded them previously and have been through them a few times. The photoetch looks nice, maybe not up to Pontos standards, but it looks like it’ll get the job done. Unless I want to mask each individual plank for painting the deck (and I’ve seen it done with good results, just not often) I’d be just looking for a wood replacement. It’s projected to arrive sometime in mid-late July. I’ll keep you posted!

Cheers,  Tom

On 4/26/2022 at 4:22 AM, dodgem37 said:

At 1/200, it seems to me they could have done this in 1/144.  Anyway.

Sincerely,

Mark

A 1/144 model takes up nearly 3 times the volume of a 1/200 scale model and double the area. So figure it will also need somewhere between 2 and 3 times as much plastic. It’s definitely not a trivial difference in scale.

5 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Are you thinking full hull or waterline? I'll

Waterline my Arizona. Crazy how it works out, but I now have a 1/200 Arizona, Mikasa, and Yorktown. Additionally a 1/250 Musashi. I'm curious how one seemingly adds a kit or two of interest, then suddenly has 8-10.

Mike,

I build full hull for all my kits, save the old Tamiya waterline kits (been years since I built one of those). I know what you mean though. I started with the Rodney, then the Mikasa, and presumably the Yamato. I actually want to have a display with both the Mikasa and the Yamato. Two venerated ships, two very different histories.

Cheers,  Tom

No. The Fletcher DD is a large kit in 1/44 and it is a small ship. A DE might be interesting in 1/144 with a good mix of detail to size.

A 1/144 BB is museum scale to me. Be cool to see for sure, but huge. I would like to see a good 1/200 USS Oregon and Cruiser Olympia.

21 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I had actually downloaded them previously and have been through them a few times. The photoetch looks nice, maybe not up to Pontos standards, but it looks like it’ll get the job done. Unless I want to mask each individual plank for painting the deck (and I’ve seen it done with good results, just not often) I’d be just looking for a wood replacement. It’s projected to arrive sometime in mid-late July. I’ll keep you posted!

Cheers,  Tom

Where did you find the information on the release of a wooden deck for this kit? That would be a must if I am going to build it

Thanks

Niels