Falcon of Malta

Ayovan

I want to build a George Beurling Spitfire from Malta 1942. Does anyone make a set of decals for this plane in 1/32. I've been looking around and haven't found any yet. The other thing is that I purchased a Revell  Sea fire MK I. Would this make for a decent Spitfire MK V ? I have read that most early Sea fires were converted from Spits, and many didn't even have a tail hooks.

y2Iiw2.jpg

0G3bIE.jpg

On 4/8/2022 at 12:42 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Another option for the Spitfire would be the more recent Revell Spitfire II kit with the AML Vb resin conversion. It's very straightforward to use and is the approach I took for my Spitfire Vb.

IMG_20180814_210136-600x450.jpg

Carl

I looked at the AML conversion set. 20mm gun barrles, gun blisters top and bottom, and corrected oil cooler. One reason I didn't go that route, is I wanted a Spit with the chin cowling scoop. The Revell Seafire has that plus most of the mods the AML conversion kit has (except the oil cooler). 

Edit: I ordered a set anyway. Thier resin parts will probably be much better than the kit parts.

Edited by Ayovan

I looked at the Hobby Boss Spit MK Vb. It is a clipped wing, and no chin cowl scoop version. Not the airframe I want for this build. The DK decal set does have the aircraft I'm looking for (EP 706) but not in tropical camo colors I want. The only difference I see in the colors are the T L are in grey, and the kill markings look to be white for an overall dark sea grey paint scheme. I might have to paint the T L to get them in the color I want, and find some appropriate kill makings.

Edited by Ayovan

13 minutes ago, BadHatHarry said:

To just correct you, the Hobby Boss Spit Vb Trop kit definitely gives the chin scoop - in fact you get the option of 2, the large Volkes filter exactly as in the profile above and the smaller Aboukir filter. The kit also gives the option of clipped wings and full span wings.

Oh really? I didn't realize. I looked at the box art, as that was the only picture I could see, and made the assumption. That's actually great news to me. I think I may order up one tonight. You know what they say about making assumptions...

I’ve put all my non- MkIX / VIII projects on hold and will wait to see what Kotare come up with… there simply is no ‘decent’ Vb or Vc out there which is such a shame.

best of luck with this project.

nick

5 hours ago, Brad-M said:

EP706 was a "C" wing, so using the Seafire or the Revell Mk II, won't work.

1 hour ago, BadHatHarry said:

According to both Morgan and Shacklady's excellent Spitfire book and the allspitfirepilots.org website, EP706 had a "B" wing, so the Hobby Boss kit is perfectly fine to use a basis.

The Spitfire Production Site confirms EP706 as a Vb  http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p039.html

14 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Hobbyboss Spitfire V Trop, however the clear parts are wrong for the version, I had to buy the HPH detail kit.

I also used the Grey Matter prop blades.

Build thread is here

wQr5Rl.jpg

J26BlW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

What exactly is wrong about the clear parts of the Hobby Boss Spit? I know there is an exterior armored wind screen and an interior armored wind screen, but don't know which is on EP706, or which is included in the kit. I know absolutely nothing about Spitfires other than I like them, but I'm trying to learn.:)