In With a Trumpeter P-51b

wow, very good news on the cockpit and fuselage front, I feel very encouraged by your work!:goodjob:

about the landing gear bay, if it can console you also the Aires set is not free from defects, look how it doesn't match at all in the front part!

IMG-4385.jpg

in the rear area is actually better, I hope this shot may help you in the improving job you're doing! as you may see, the aft wall should go straight with the main spar, not following the bay opening. 

I guess that work on this with wing glued it's near to impossible, but also I think that wichever the amount of work one may put into a landing gear bay, no one will see it, withe the aircraft sitting on its wheels...

IMG-4386.jpg

so, carry on and have fun!

cheers, Paolo

Hi Paolo, thank you for your words of encouragement and the photos of the Aires A/M set.  I am not that surprised the their wheel well set does not fit perfectly as I have always found their stuff to be a bit hit and miss when it comes to fit.  I am glad that the cockpit set was a hit!  Looking at the back wall of your set it is clear that the Trumpeter team got the rear wall wrong.  As you assessed fixing that is nearly impossible once everything is glued together, and in this case I am going to live with the position as is.  I am only going to try to deal with the very ugly seam where the upper and lower wings join.  I hope you continue to have fun with your build!

Ernest  

Some more progress to show.  I plan to fill the rivets and most the panel line in the area that I have applied putty to.  My plan is to do the upper wing and then the bottom part of the wing.  We will see how it turns out.  Using thin Evergreen sheet pieces to cover the ugly seam in the wheel wells turned out ok - not perfect, but it does look better than before.  We'll see how it looks under primer and paint.

Ernest

IMG_4134

The puttied lines towards the trailing edge of the wing are where I filled in some small gaps around the weapons/ammo bay covers.

IMG_4135

IMG_4137

Getting the lighting holes lined up was a very fiddly process that I did not get perfectly right.  However, if viewed with the wing in what will be its natural position

things look ok.

IMG_4140

A macro shot, the far left area was a bear to get form correctly due to both the curve of the front part of the wing, the small gap that has to be left where the wing joins the fuselage and how the width of the area changes - in a curved fashion rather then a straight line.  Glad that little task is done!

Ernest

Posted (edited)

The wheel wells have recieved their base painting.  After reading a lot of posts and looking at a few dozen photos I decided to go with the paint scheme shown.  The work I did to cover the wing joins turned out ok.  The forward area does not look as good as the rear area, but given how little will be seen once the model is complete I can live with it.  I opted to paint the rear well area a NMF with the exception of the center part that replicates the main spar.  I know Trumpeter got the shape wrong, but given the spirit I am going with on this build, I opted  not to fix it. This will be the last update for a bit as I am departing on a week long business trip tomorrow morning.

Ernest

IMG_4145

IMG_4146

IMG_4147

Edited by Greif8

I must say that your intervention is very credible, and the lightening holes help to give realism to the landing gear compartment.

may I ask why the choice to make it two colors? I think i'll do mine completely in zinc chromate primer, but I'm also ready to change mind about!

Hi Paolo, thank you for the kind words! I opted to paint two colors of green, main spar, what little shows, ZCY and the "braces" Dull Dark Green, for a few of reasons.   First I looked at several photos that showed a different color of green in those areas; though there were just as many photos that showed one color, or even just NMF.  Second I read that depending on when the aircraft was built, it could have had the colors I chose to paint. Finally as I could not find any consensus saying "this is what right looks like", pretty common in our hobby, I chose to a paint scheme that I liked best, as well as presenting a bit of a challenge to airbrush.  I freely admit that I could be wrong as far as accuracy goes, but in this case I am willing to accept that. 

I hope you are having fun with your build! 

Ernest 

5 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Ernest,

I like your work you have done on the cockpit. And the seat belts et al looks impressive. 

:goodjob:

Very nice progress.

:clap2:

Thank you for the compliment Maru!  

Ernest 

On 4/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, Ayovan said:

Looking really good Ernest. I've been tempted by that kit, but have heard a lot of negative things about it. Looks like you and Paolo both are doing an excellent job.

Andy

Thank you!  The kit is going together ok; I think the negative press it gets is due to the several inaccuracies.  Some are easily corrected others not so much.  I have decided for a fairly relaxing build, so I am not trying to correct anything but the most easily fixed stuff.

Ernest