Can the HK Meteor be backdated to a wartime version?

Citadelgrad

I am a total newbie when it comes to early British jets, but am on a kick where I am trying to build late war aircraft, and of course the Meteor fits the bill.  I think HK's Meteor F4 is a later variant, my limited sources say only F1 and F3 variants were in service before war's end.

Any Meteor experts, is a backdate feasible? 

Here's a link to a discussion over on Britmodeller, it would seem that the engine nacelles could differ depending on the engines, but the major change was the outer wing panels. I also want to build an FIII and have a HK kit in the stash, I might just do minor changes and paint it up as an FIII.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099949-gloster-meteor-f3f4/

Cheers

Dennis

Although some Mk 3s had long-chord nacelles. The only way to spot one of these is a small intake at about 1/3 chord, at 11 o'clock viewed fom the front.

14 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Don’t think any of those long nacelle F.3s took part in WWII however.

Well, that's a bit disappointing.  My (and I am sure many others) interest in the Meteor was its role as the first allied jet to see service during the war.  The early, postwar export version wasn't much of a groundbreaking aircraft.

Oh, well, I can't speak to the motivations of model designers and producers.   

No wartime Meteors had long chord engine nacelles.  Only the last fifteen MkIII's were fitted with these, starting with EE479.  All MkIV's had these nacelles, the first of which took it's maiden flight on 12th April 1946.  MkI's also had a different canopy to MkIII's and MkIV's, with a more upright windscreen and hinged canopy.

1280px-Meteor_DG202G_at_RAF_Mueum_London

All MkI, MkIII and early MkIV aircraft had the longer 43ft wings, these being shortened to 37ft 2in.  The wings were shortened by 2ft 10in on each side as an interim expedient to relieve stresses on the riveted box section center section which was subject to failure as a result of the extra speed generated by the more powerful RR Derwent V fitted on later MkIII's combined with the better airflow over the long chord engine nacelles.  Failure here caused a sharp upward pitch then the loss of both wings.  This change didn't entirely solve the stress problem, but it did mean a new wing was no longer needed.  This mod reduced the rate of climb and service ceiling, but did increase rate of roll.  Incidentally, Mk10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 20 reverted to the longer wings as these had become much longer aircraft.

Hope this helps,

Michael

7 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

The early, postwar export version wasn't much of a groundbreaking aircraft.

Sorry, I beg to differ, I'd certainly consider gaining a World Speed record groundbreaking.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/meteor-breaking-air-speed-record

https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/museum-aircraft/gloster-meteor-f4

Edited by MikeC
Bad attempt at humour removed.

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Don’t think any of those long nacelle F.3s took part in WWII however.

True.  RTFQ (read the question) Michael!!

So to return to the question: a backdate is perfectly feasible in theory as the only real visible differences were the engine nacelles and outer wings.  Whether actually sourcing or scratch-building these items is possible is another matter entirely.

Edited by MikeC

34 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Sorry, I beg to differ, I'd certainly consider gaining a World Speed record groundbreaking.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/meteor-breaking-air-speed-record

https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/museum-aircraft/gloster-meteor-f4

I meant no offense and was speaking solely in terms of my first post:  my interest is late war aircraft, to expand, the pinnacle of piston development and the dawn of jet combat.   Aircraft like the Tempest, D9 190s and beyond, the Me 262, the Komet, etc.   

The F.1 and F.3 were THE first allied jet powered aircraft to see combat.  A peacetime speed record, while significant for other reasons, does not fit the niche i seek. 

thank you for the information.  

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

I meant no offense and was speaking solely in terms of my first post:  my interest is late war aircraft, to expand, the pinnacle of piston development and the dawn of jet combat.

None taken; I probably "bit" somewhat too quickly, it's early here and I was still on my first cup of tea.  :coolio:

I do rather share your interest, but in terms of aircraft development in general.  It's a fascinating period.

Edited by MikeC

10 minutes ago, MikeC said:

None taken; I probably "bit" somewhat too quickly, it's early here and I was still on my first cup of tea.  :coolio:

I do rather share your interest, but in terms of aircraft development in general.  It's a fascinating period.

Agreed, a golden age.   

Maybe I‘m biased because I‘m Danish (one of the export countries), but I personally find the F.4 historically much more significant, considering the number produced and the countries that used it, for many the first jet fighter. It‘s also prettier than the earlier marks, I think…. Have coincidentally just bought this kit, and found a set of Danish decals too…

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I have yet to understand why HK chose that version and only released that one whereas other versions of that plane saw action during WW2, the Korean War, Middle East War and so on ... Weird to me!

Agreed to some extent; wouldn‘t have taken much effort to make a T. Mk. 7 and an F.8 as well. An NF.11 would also have been nice…