Kitty Hawk P-39

ade rowlands

It’s a kit I’ve looked at and almost bought a few times now and as supplies are dwindling after the companies demise I’m guessing now is the time to act. But my question is, if I elect to build it all panels closed as is my preference for all builds, how does it build up? Is it one of those kits that’s designed to be all opened up and will throw nothing but problems and poor fit if I go the all panels closed route? I’d like to do it as a VVS Bird. 

Should also add that I am not bothered about the short fuselage and wouldn’t be adding a plug.

Edited by ade rowlands

It fits fine closed up. As you're planning to do a Soviet aircraft you won't need to remove the Soviet-specific df fairing underneath. If doing a Q you'll need to filll the panels for the wing guns. But on the whole it's a good kit, although some are dubious about the length.

Edited by MikeC

37 minutes ago, MikeC said:

It fits fine closed up. As you're planning to do a Soviet aircraft you won't need to remove the Soviet-specific df fairing underneath. If doing a Q you'll need to filll the panels for the wing guns. But on the whole it's a good kit, although some are dubious about the length.

Cheers Mike. 

My pleasure.  It's a while since I did mine, but here's my tip for nose weight, using the stick-backed ballast that our flying model brethren use.  Chop the bottoms (the non-visible) parts off the oxygen bottles and pop it in there.

IMG-4842.jpg

Edited by MikeC
As ever, correction of a typo: I really must get a keyboard that can spell!

6 minutes ago, MikeC said:

My pleasure.  It's a while since I did mine, but here's my tip for nose weight, using the stick-backed ballast that our flying model brethren use.  Chop the bottoms (the non-visible) parts off the oxygen bottles and pop it in there.

IMG-4842.jpg

If I go ahead and buy the kit I’m planning on not using anything I don’t need to from the gun bay so was already looking at where I could stash some Liquid Gravity. But all pointers and tips welcome. Want some variety in my stash.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

I’m planning on not using anything I don’t need to from the gun bay

A man after my own heart; it's a few years, but I seem to recall that there was a certain minimum that needed to go in.  I built up the gun bay interior as it was a magazine build for SAMI; it appeared in the June 2016 issue according to my records.

Kit purchased. Now to find some decals. Typically it seems I am late to the party and all that’s available is AML Decals. Have never used them so don’t know anything about their quality. Zotz Soviet Aces looks interesting but no longer available. 

Might need to track down a reference book on the Soviet Airacobras also. Seems they made changes, omitted guns and whatnot.

Edited by ade rowlands

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Kitty Hawk P-39

I didn't quite have the same luck that the other fellas had with this kit:

Juc3Wj.jpg

FvMJUb.jpg

4wZ4oM.jpg

It turned out OK in the end, though:

WuoSO5.jpg

I'd actually consider building another one, I but I do have a Special Hobby example in the stash to get to first. I'm hopeful that someone will eventually re-introduce the Kitty Hawk kit into the market.

Kev

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Kit purchased. Now to find some decals. Typically it seems I am late to the party and all that’s available is AML Decals. Have never used them so don’t know anything about their quality. Zotz Soviet Aces looks interesting but no longer available. 

Might need to track down a reference book on the Soviet Airacobras also. Seems they made changes, omitted guns and whatnot.

What kind of markings are you looking for? I have some in the stash; don't need all the options.

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

What kind of markings are you looking for? I have some in the stash; don't need all the options.

From what I've read and from what I've seen from owning the Mirage kits, Kitty Hawk Decals are less than stellar. I want to do a Soviet machine. It doesn't need to be a scheme of any of the Aces, though Kill marks are a plus. I'm not sure if these things carried any stencil data at all. I can get AML Decals from Hannants but their quality is an unknown to me.

Just now, ade rowlands said:

From what I've read and from what I've seen from owning the Mirage kits, Kitty Hawk Decals are less than stellar. I want to do a Soviet machine. It doesn't need to be a scheme of any of the Aces, though Kill marks are a plus. I'm not sure if these things carried any stencil data at all. I can get AML Decals from Hannants but their quality is an unknown to me.

I have at least two AM decal sets. I will see what I got for Russki’s. One I have is the Zotz set.

3 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I have at least two AM decal sets. I will see what I got for Russki’s. One I have is the Zotz set.

Thanks, theres no rush, the kit will be on the slow boat from China and it will be going in somewhere in the middle of the build pile when it arrives, which at my pace of building still puts it a little way off being attempted. Hopefully in that delay Quinta or Yahu will knock out a set for it.