JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

1 hour ago, Violator1991 said:

Excellent work ! The cockpit and the IP shroud looks amazing !!

10 minutes ago, mattcour said:

That is coming along so nicely. Beautiful work with the cockpit.

Nice to see all elements are properly addressed by designers.

It is a very thought throug and well engineered kit. I would place the fit in the realm of short series injection molded kits but with details that are far above.

Only real bad decision was printing the instrument panel standing up. Quinta studio like printed decals would be perfect for this kit!

27 minutes ago, Violator1991 said:

Now even more curious :)

Good :D hate to torture anyone.

15 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Wonderful progress. I also think that this kit would be even greater with a Quinta Studio range printed decals. Jetmads should note that for a possible improvement in their next kits.

Thanks Ivan :D

indeed....and turned brass pitotubes. Those 3d printed pitottubes will snap instantly....hopefully Master listened to me and will scale up their 1/48 set to 1/32 but that they would put them out there early next year at the soonest.

2 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Very nice work on the Viggen! Also great to see you on LSP, I remember you from ARC.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel :D

it's a pleasure being here, it's a bit sad how things have slowed down at ARC. It used to be a vibrant forum like LSP and Britmodeller. I am still faithful to ARC and post there but I'm widening my horizon :)

50 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Thanks Marcel :D

it's a pleasure being here, it's a bit sad how things have slowed down at ARC. It used to be a vibrant forum like LSP and Britmodeller. I am still faithful to ARC and post there but I'm widening my horizon :)

Glad you are here! I find the building standard over here to generally be much higher.

I really wish Jetmads had solved this differently, yes the details are there but the printer layers ruins them and it´s almost impossible to remove them without ruining the details! I think printed instrument decals a la Quinta Studio would have been the best sollution here.... next time, OK Jetmads?

IMG_5054.JPG

OK, I worked with what I got, did some detail painting on the IP

IMG_5057.JPG

Added the decals to the HUD and cowling.

IMG_5058.JPG

I used some of the decals for the instruments but I left the screens painted.

IMG_5059.JPG

Put the IP into the cowling, the fit isn´t glorious, I had to sand a bit but still couldn´t get a perfect fit because if I had sanded more I would have damaged gauges.

IMG_5060.JPG

I painted the forward part of the IP shroud in very thinned XF-51 Kahki drab. This part bleeches in the sunlight and takes on a brownish tint after a while.

Then I drybrushed with dark gray and painted a thinned black on the middle section. I finished it all with a drybrush with flesh to get a warm tone.

Oh yeah, and painted a bit of silver on the HUD lens

IMG_5066.JPG

Talking about the HUD, the HUD looks like this.....it´ll be a female dog to make that clear....

IMG_5067.JPG

So I scrapped it and decided to use  clear acetate instead.

IMG_5068.JPG

One of my favourite tools, the caliphers. I inherited it from my dad when he passed 2007 and everytime I use it I think of him 

Anyways it is incredibly useful and should be a part of every modellers tool box.

IMG_5069.JPG

I used it to meassure the width of the HUD glass

IMG_5070.JPG

Put down a drop of clear green on the lens

IMG_5071.JPG

I cut the acetate to shape and glued them in with clear varnish

IMG_5073.JPG

With that I flat coated the IP and added clear varnish on top of screens and gauges to simulate glass.

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

And glued it all into the pit.... it´s almost done now. Looks OK

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

And the nosecone got in place too

IMG_5081.JPG

Tomorrow I´ll clean that seam...

Cheers!