JA37 Viggen, Jetmads 1/32

Aigore

Great job. Your Viggen is getting better and better with each update. I think that's how it generally goes with the resin kits. That's fine for a model if it's not available in any other form, as long as the shapes are good and the fit is not really problematic.

But I like having to deal with those sometimes, to an aceptable extent. It gives me the feeling that I am not just assembling but also building it.

Definitely no novice thing, but then again that's the delicious and satisfying taste of it :)

Looking forward to see this finished.

36 minutes ago, Violator1991 said:

Beautiful progress Aigore! Obviously you have done some fit & sanding stuff and it seems to have paid off. 

The 3D printed tail details looks awesome after the clean up and primer. 

Thanks Violator :D

It is a continuous work on this kit....but soon I will have something more fun to show.

19 minutes ago, mattcour said:

Great job. Your Viggen is getting better and better with each update. I think that's how it generally goes with the resin kits. That's fine for a model if it's not available in any other form, as long as the shapes are good and the fit is not really problematic.

But I like having to deal with those sometimes, to an aceptable extent. It gives me the feeling that I am not just assembling but also building it.

Definitely no novice thing, but then again that's the delicious and satisfying taste of it :)

Looking forward to see this finished.

Thanks mattcour :D

exactly that...this is no Tamiya that a drunken monkey with three thumbs can put together, this do need some skills...not enourmous skills since it's well engineered  but enough to feel some sense of accomplishments!

3 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Lovely work you are doing on this Viggen, I think you are making it justice. That's definitely a "Champions League" style build.

Thanks Ivan :D

very kind of you to say :D

13 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Either way this is going to be a stunner.... 

I think it was only to be expected that the kit would need to beaten into submission as its effectively a multi media kit. the only thing missing is photo etch. I say that, is there any included in the kit? 

I wish there was .... and some turned metal stuff would have been nice.

When done the model will be super heavy, I will have to pack it well when transporting it to shows....I wouldn't  dare to let the printed landing gears take the weight during transport as ordinary plastic kits can. The printed resin is incredibly brittle specially when it comes to lateral movement. I have no doubt the struts can take the strain when standing still as Jetmads has claimed but I would have liked metal struts from turned metal, not cast soft white metal.

Butt job

Finally Friday...and I have a new update for you!

My focus is travelling further to the rear.....

I glued in the fuselage wheel wells.....got some really good fit there after all the work. Very pleased with myself. I will not do that much work i there painting wise since when the Viggen is parked the big door is closed, a little bit ajar when the hydralic preassure drops.

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

On to some fun stuff....the exhaust! I really like doing exhausts for some reason, same with cockpits, I enjoy every second of doing those things.

The rear compressor and the tunnel are cast in reasin while the afterburner ring and reversser paddles are 3D printed.

IMG_5155.JPG

That afterburnewr ring is another work of art like the fan front!

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

This was thoughtful by Jetmads, you get 4 reverser paddles! Well if you are going to model it in fight all paddles are undeployed! Really clever and kind to the modellers who otherwise would have had to adapt the dropped paddle.

IMG_5158.JPG

While parked when the hydraulic preassure drops the top paddle always sinks, there are no exact position or default dropped position. it´s all down to how leaky the hydraulics system is. If newly serviced the paddle hardly drops at all.

Only this paddle has details on it´s upper surface as it is meant to be dropped.

IMG_5159.JPG

And the bottom paddles are not flush to the exhaust! this is actually a good fit on a parked Viggen. They are more flush when the hydraulics are on during flight

IMG_5160.JPG

Damn, good thing there was 4 of them since I snapped a corner off when I was dry fitting....lok out the 3D printed stuff are brittle!

IMG_5161.JPG

Anyhooo....

I primed the exhaust parts in Alcald gloss black.

IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

For the starting ponint of the painting of the exhaust I want the canvas as shiny as possible, I use Alclad Airframe Aluminium for this as it leaves a mirror finish on gloss black.

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

The I dusted Alclad steel all over and then I shoot shadows with Alclad Exhaust

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

After the painting I put down a wash. I really like the Citadel Nulnoil, it not only works as a good wash but as a nice filter too.

IMG_5174.JPG

So I sloshes that Nulnoil about....

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

With that todays update is finished...On Sunday I´ll get nasty and dirty on that butt!

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Beautiful build so far!  :clap2:

Stefan :beer:

Thanks Stefan :D

5 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Jetmads and YOU did a great job on the exhaust and especially the thrust reverser. This section is a marvelous piece of engineering, on the real deal as well as on the model.

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks Rainer :D

Yeah, they got the shape and proportions right of the paddles.... only one that managed it thus far.  When they presented the 3D renderings of the rear my only objection was the rear radar warner. It lacks it's "frog eyes", two circular protrusions on each side of the half globe shaped sensor. Unfortunately they didn't listen to my observations :P (yeah they thought I was nitpicking and obnoxious :P )

2 hours ago, mattcour said:

Superb!

Thanks matt :D

10 hours ago, IvanVasili said:

Awesome!

Thanks Ivan :D

9 hours ago, frank83 said:

WOW!! That afterburner ring looks amazing!! Your job on the rest of the nozzle and mechanism looks so goos, love the metallic color and the tones. 

Thanks Frank :D

It's a joy putting the exhaust together.