1/32 Revell Me262 B1/U1

mc65

Naaaah, I don't believe it!

I just discovered that my original post about this subject was lost due to hackers attack. well, I don't want to give up or gratify these people the score to get we lost anything, so I'll do it again, trying to be as possible adherent to the first one.

well, after having built the Trumpeter single seater and being not satisfied by it at all, I wanted try the Revell night fighter version. I started it in january and completed it in march, a very short time, by my standards.

I was attracted by the red 11, but being unable to find any reference on it, and wanting a full ghostly pattern, also on the wing, I elected the red 10, of wich there is some relatively good photograpic documentation.

IMG_1709.JPG

the initial plan was to do an OOB kit, but I was attracted by some areas I found very well represented by Revell, like the cockpit, the cannons bay, and the engines. so I drilled holes within the clear canopies to insert pins and make them openable.

IMG_1706.JPG

actually it wasn't as simple as I said: you see that the aft canopy hasn't a straight bottom surface. being instead curve, I produced a flexibile  hinge system that allows the movement fluidly. thinking about the cockpit, I asked myself if it was possible to illuminate the cockpit without too much effort. I found that four yellow/orange-colored nanoleds enclosed in alu tubes were enough to do that. here these can be seen on both cockpit's sides.

IMG_1631.HEIC

so, here we are by night. closed

IMG_1105.HEIC

and opened. in the background, with some imagination, it can be seen another night hunter with the very same camo, one of my cats.

IMG_1692.HEIC

so far it was almost a linear way of build it, but what about cannons bay and engine? I absolutely didn't want to ruin the beautiful lines of this aircraft, so I built some alternative parts to be exchanged at will revealing the interior details, arranging a very positive contact with micro magnetos.

again, fully closed

IMG_1639.HEIC

and fully open.

IMG_1635.HEIC

and that's it. in this picture are not to be seen some details on the cannons bay, like the rods that support the opened panels and opened latches, I forgot to display these when I shooted the pictures.

IMG_1617.JPEG

I discovered the beautiful work made by Thunnus on the very same subject just few days ago, definetly too late to take advantage of that wip. knowing that before, I would have done the same correction to the tail navigation light, or I'd have less headache to position the flaps extended, just to mention a couple of the many tips I found there.

or, may be, this is a good reason to do another Revell 262... all in all I really enjoyied the time i spent on this one!

cheers, P. 

Great looking Schwalbe!  Ive always loved that plane, i was a kid when we toured NASM Silver hill, i was there when they pulled it out of the paint shop.  

how did you like the kit?  I have the Single seater Revell in the stash. 

the lighting is awesome, by the way. 

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

Great looking Schwalbe!  Ive always loved that plane, i was a kid when we toured NASM Silver hill, i was there when they pulled it out of the paint shop.  

how did you like the kit?  I have the Single seater Revell in the stash. 

the lighting is awesome, by the way. 

thank you! the NASM yellow 7 was the subject I tried to emulate with the Trumpeter kit, and I don't exclude to do it again with a Revell one.

well, I think that the Revell one has the best value for money. the detail is somewhat a little bit less crispy, but it haven't the fully rivets detail, that the Trumpy has, and wich is a little heavy, IMHO. so you may choose to have these or not, or to engrave only the fuselage and the underwing, i.e.

the general fit is excellent except the nose cone and some issue to persuade the wing to join the fuselage.

IMG_0519.HEIC

on the other hand, it has a really nice (and sturdy) landing gear complex, I liked it very much.

the weels has to be changed with resin ones, but this is a common problem, having theTrumpeter vinyl ones.

IMG_8530.HEIC

having a so good landing gear area give way to improve its bay with just a little ingenuity:

IMG_9246.HEIC 

same for the cannons bay, the overall fit lets space to some easy improvements, if desired.

IMG_7844.HEIC

and adding to it latches by Yahu is a big boost of detail, with very little effort.

IMG_0352.HEIC

IMG_0361.HEIC

same goes with the engine, the kit's base is straightforward wanting to do these closed, but with an evening of scratchbuilding, one may achieve a reasonable naked jumo.

IMG_8604.HEIC

to say it all about, I found the canopies marred by some little bubbles, but I wrote to the customer care address, and received in few days a good replacement.

in conclusion, I fallen in love with this kit, I think the single seater will be a breeze to build and to have a lot of fun with, enjoy!

IMG_8866.HEIC

2 hours ago, mc65 said:

thank you! the NASM yellow 7 was the subject I tried to emulate with the Trumpeter kit, and I don't exclude to do it again with a Revell one.

well, I think that the Revell one has the best value for money. the detail is somewhat a little bit less crispy, but it haven't the fully rivets detail, that the Trumpy has, and wich is a little heavy, IMHO. so you may choose to have these or not, or to engrave only the fuselage and the underwing, i.e.

the general fit is excellent except the nose cone and some issue to persuade the wing to join the fuselage.

IMG_0519.HEIC

on the other hand, it has a really nice (and sturdy) landing gear complex, I liked it very much.

the weels has to be changed with resin ones, but this is a common problem, having theTrumpeter vinyl ones.

IMG_8530.HEIC

having a so good landing gear area give way to improve its bay with just a little ingenuity:

IMG_9246.HEIC 

same for the cannons bay, the overall fit lets space to some easy improvements, if desired.

IMG_7844.HEIC

and adding to it latches by Yahu is a big boost of detail, with very little effort.

IMG_0352.HEIC

IMG_0361.HEIC

same goes with the engine, the kit's base is straightforward wanting to do these closed, but with an evening of scratchbuilding, one may achieve a reasonable naked jumo.

IMG_8604.HEIC

to say it all about, I found the canopies marred by some little bubbles, but I wrote to the customer care address, and received in few days a good replacement.

in conclusion, I fallen in love with this kit, I think the single seater will be a breeze to build and to have a lot of fun with, enjoy!

IMG_8866.HEIC

WOW.  You have a great eye for detail, that engine looks real.  

its funny, i built the Monogram 262, IIRC, in the late 70s, and it had nose and gun bay door issues, too.  Nicely done, sir.  I hope mine comes out half as well.