I saw DUNE 2021 today…

quang

32 minutes ago, quang said:

Oh, then it’s Dave Bautista in the 2021 version. But the Big Meanie is the Baron himself played by Stellan Skarsgård (shades of Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now).

Don’t mind the official trailer. This featurette is much more explicit AND you can also get a few glimpses of the ornithopter.

Bautista is playing the Barons other cousin, Rabban, who is Feyds brother. In the original he was played by Paul Smith (terrible name for an actor, might as well be Anonymous a Anyone). Feyd (played by Sting in 1984) isn't in this one, supposedly in the second movie and hasn't been cast yet. A comparison of Rabbans:

batista-beast-dune.jpg

Edited by eoyguy

From the stills I've seen, it looks like the design of the film has taken at least some inspiration from Jack Schoener's (sp?) scraper-board illustrations for the original serialisation of Dune in Analog magazine. (I confess I bought Analog mainly for the pictures – same as I bought the Eagle for Frank Hampson's imaginative artwork of Dan Dare when I was younger.)

55 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

Bautista is playing the Barons other cousin, Rabban, who is Feyds brother. In the original he was played by Paul Smith (terrible name for an actor, might as well be Anonymous a Anyone). Feyd (played by Sting in 1984) isn't in this one, supposedly in the second movie and hasn't been cast yet.

Thank you for the heads-up. How many cousins does the Baron have anyway? :blink:

29 minutes ago, Kapiti Kid said:

From the stills I've seen, it looks like the design of the film has taken at least some inspiration from Jack Schoener's (sp?) scraper-board illustrations for the original serialisation of Dune in Analog magazine. (I confess I bought Analog mainly for the pictures – same as I bought the Eagle for Frank Hampson's imaginative artwork of Dan Dare when I was younger.)

You mean John Schoenherr? I remember seeing some of his works in Omni magazine. It was in the last century :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, AlanG said:

Whenever i see him in films/shows i cannot get past thinking about Guardians of the Galaxy :)

It’s the reason why in the film he doesn't look as menacing as his colleagues Harkonnen! :lol:

8 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

No. I don't believe it even finishes the first book, as the second film is supposed to do that.

Apparently Villeneuve wouldn't commit to directing if forced to try to cram it all into 3 hours ....which was David Lynch's problem too .

I'm hoping the second part is well on the way .....heck there's enough material in the books to get a dozen films . Can't imagine how you'd make a film out of God Emperor though  ....:huh:

9 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Apparently Villeneuve wouldn't commit to directing if forced to try to cram it all into 3 hours ....which was David Lynch's problem too .

I'm hoping the second part is well on the way .....heck there's enough material in the books to get a dozen films . Can't imagine how you'd make a film out of God Emperor though  ....:huh:

I agree, I always thought that Dune would be far better covered in a series or mini-series, as they attempted on Sci-Fi. They of course had very limited budgets, so it looks rather cheap. I would think that someone like HBO, could do a GoT type thing with it and do it justice, hopefully following the source material like GoT in it's first seasons, and not totally mangling it as in the latter.

The complete title is Dune Part One.

The film stopped rather abruptly after Paul was accepted by the Fremen.

It’s rather disappointing as we’ll have to wait for the next installment to discover what made the book so great: the ecology of the planet Arrakis and the culture of the people who inhabits it.

44 minutes ago, quang said:

The complete title is Dune Part One.

The film stopped rather abruptly after Paul was accepted by the Fremen.

It’s rather disappointing as we’ll have to wait for the next installment to discover what made the book so great: the ecology of the planet Arrakis and the culture of the people who inhabits it.

Can we avoid spoilers please ?