Alpha Model 1/24 McLaren P1 GTR * built*

The Madhatter

Hi everyone

I was very excited to see the postmen pull up today and deliver my long awaited P1 GTR kit. I wished it was the real thing but seeing as that's wholly unobtainable, I'll settle for this brand new kit from Alpha Model

I am not in the habit of spending large sums of money on kits, but this was an exception. It's the only kit available of this subject and just from looking at it, I feel it's a winner for sure

I took the liberty of taking some shots of what you get in case you too are eyeballing this kit and are just not quite sure what you'll get.

Everything in resin is beautifully cast with no air bubbles, warping or cracks. Heavty for sure but I don't mind.

Not as much PE as I thought you;d get but again, I am OK with that. There's even an engine which someone with much better skills than mine would be able to super detail.

All the right detail is present and there is a massive decal sheet for 2 schemes - not that I'm going with either one

IMG_8317

IMG_8318

IMG_8319

IMG_8321

IMG_8322

4 bags of bits:

IMG_8323

PE frets including PE seat belts which was a nice touch:

IMG_8324

Inside Bag #1

IMG_8325

The unique rear tail lights are clear resin:

IMG_8326

Inside Bag #2:

IMG_8328

Bag #3

IMG_8329

IMG_8331

Decal sheet

IMG_8334

And lastly, the instructions:

IMG_8335 IMG_8336 IMG_8337 IMG_8338 IMG_8339

Well, that's all I took but hopefully that'll give you an idea on what you get for $160

Cheers

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Thanks Joe! I'm not detailing it any more than what's in the box as I need a break from doing just that - detailing.  I've made a great start to it and the gloss black body base coat is so shiny and smooth that I  can't believe I did it. 

I wasn't intending on doing a WIP either but I will take some WIP photos along the way and post them at the reveal (if I don't screw it up that is)

13 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Thanks Brett - forgive my ignorance here but I don't get the Malcolm Reynolds reference.  Sorry. I know he flys the Firefly but that's it 

You got it! As I recall, and it's been a while since I watched the series, they said "shiny" when they thought something was good/cool. Hopefully I'm not wrong!

• The Madhatter changed the title to Alpha Model 1/24 McLaren P1 GTR * built*

Well, I am calling this one done. I am relatively happy with how it came out. The red turned out exactly as planned, - just the rest of it didn't.

If you decide to get this kit there a few things you should know.

1) The PE vent covers in the doors and hood do not fit at all and are the wrong shape. At least, that was my experience and I sat there for AGES trying to work out how to get them in correctly. In the end I gave up and used some other material that I cut to fit

2) The rear tail lights do not actually conform to the body properly and I accidentally broke mine trying to get them to sit right. I tried for ages to get them in but no. I thought maybe it was at what stage in the build I tried to install them but no, even after I got the rear disassembled and tried again it still didn't work

3) The clear resin head light attachment point is terrible and I chipped the top corner trying to get it off (even being careful), so extra care needed there

4) The rear diffuser is incredibly fragile. Don't ask me how I know.....

I had a lit display case turn up at my door that was rather boring in all out silver, so I painted the base black and kept the light poles silver. I also painted the graphic on the base as a slight homage to the tech that went into the real car.

Overall, it's a nice kit that fits really nicely in most places. I wouldn't rush out and buy another one but Alpha Model are the only ones producing the subjects I really like. If Tamiya match the Senna with a regular P1 - then I am so in. I don't like the styling of Senna much so am not going to get it

IMG_8352

IMG_8353

IMG_8358 IMG_8357

IMG_8356

Interior pictures:

IMG_8349

IMG_8347

I totally forgot to take pics of the seats and belts etc and the windows are too glossy to get a decent shot through but you can kinda get an idea

Anyways, that's it but as always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si