1/32 F-16 BDU scheme

Horrido109

Hey! Do you have some sort of time warp machine that lets you cover lengthy steps including paint drying, all within minutes? If so, you should totally market that! Fantastic work, still loving the subtle weathering. I'm intrigued by your approach to component assembly/painting as well. By that I mean not sticking everything together first and then painting as a whole. I guess only the better kits allow this. I have only recently returned to this hobby, so am blown away by the engineering development over recent years. On another note, it is interesting to me that some aircraft, such as the F-5E which I am currently working on, often have quite noticeable gaps between structural components, wings and fuselage for example. The modeller's temptation is tend to bog it all up and fill everything. Does the F-16 have such gaps as well? Thanks for sharing. Tony

7 hours ago, SwissFighters said:

Hey! Do you have some sort of time warp machine that lets you cover lengthy steps including paint drying, all within minutes? If so, you should totally market that! Fantastic work, still loving the subtle weathering. I'm intrigued by your approach to component assembly/painting as well. By that I mean not sticking everything together first and then painting as a whole. I guess only the better kits allow this. I have only recently returned to this hobby, so am blown away by the engineering development over recent years. On another note, it is interesting to me that some aircraft, such as the F-5E which I am currently working on, often have quite noticeable gaps between structural components, wings and fuselage for example. The modeller's temptation is tend to bog it all up and fill everything. Does the F-16 have such gaps as well? Thanks for sharing. Tony

Hi Tony,

I wish I had a warp machine :P.. No, this build-post is kind off a "delayed" post if you will. The build itself was somewhat ahead of the timeline in which I posted the pictures. I was just consumed with other things at the time and could not post progress pictures "real time".  At some point however I decided to just make time and share the pictures. I just started a Greek F-4 Phantom and plan to start posting images of that as I progress, so that one will definitely not go as fast.

I have always preferred a more subtle approach to weathering. Almost a "less is more" kind off approach. Luckily most aeroplanes has a timeline of leaving the factory fresh to a state of severe weathering so you are never wrong picking the spot on the line you are comfortable with. The Greek Phantom will be a bit more "used" though..

As far as the engineering goes, the Tamiya kit is an absolute gem! No filler needed except for a tiny bit at the tail where the fuselage joins (I did post a picture in the thread). I would love to do the F-5 also at some point, it will be great to see what you do with it.

Regards

Victor

On 9/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Zola25 said:

That is just looking better and better! - May I ask what color you used on the outside of the exhuast? It looks really realistic

Thanks

Niels

Hi Niels,

Nowadays I use Mr Color Paints. Throughout my modelling career I've always mixed my own colors, using literally hundreds of reference photos. This also applies to metallics. For the exhaust I mixed these:  25% #61, 70% #203 and 5% #310. I hope that helps.. 

20220930-115602.jpg

Victor

On 9/29/2022 at 12:05 PM, red Dog said:

Great Result you achieved in a record time! 

You are succeeding at making me love that ugly F-16 scheme :)

Not quite record time :P.. As mentioned above, this is kinda a delayed post, lagging the actual build by some time. So I am not as an impressive "quick builder" as this build post may imply lol..

I'm glad you're warming up to this scheme. It makes the F-16 look brutal. Totally opposite to this scheme I also plan on doing:

e.jpg

Edited by Horrido109
Grammer

Thanks for the paint info - much appreciated.

That is a nice clean livery - kinda reminds me of the Norwegian F-16´s also in overall light grey. The Omani F-16s look even cooler with its subdued stencils though.

I have started work on my next F-16 model. Your wonderful build thread got me in the mood :punk:

Morocco: United States approves new arms deal | Atalayar - Las claves del  mundo en tus manos

6 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Thanks for the paint info - much appreciated.

That is a nice clean livery - kinda reminds me of the Norwegian F-16´s also in overall light grey. The Omani F-16s look even cooler with its subdued stencils though.

I have started work on my next F-16 model. Your wonderful build thread got me in the mood :punk:

Morocco: United States approves new arms deal | Atalayar - Las claves del  mundo en tus manos

I'm glad Niels :D..

That is going to be a stunning build. I presume you'll be using the Academy kit? Please create a post for it, I'd love to see it done.

Victor

Edited by Horrido109

22 minutes ago, Horrido109 said:

I'm glad Niels :D..

That is going to be a stunning build. I presume you'll be using the Academy kit? Please create a post for it, I'd love to see it done.

Victor

Yes, I will be using the Sufa kit and quite a few aftermarket parts - I will for sure post it in the RFI section once completed

/Niels