1/32 F-16 BDU scheme

Horrido109

Very nice and clean modeling, which indicates that your skill level is very high, despite your modest introduction.  I am amazed that you got the intake smooth with just Mr Color paint and thinner, since that usually takes a good dip in thick latex paint to achieve the same effect (a la Pete Fleischmann).  Your scratch made ACMI pod is also excellent and much better than any of the resin offerings out there.  My next model is likely a Block 32 Aggressor in the "Ghost" scheme, so I will be following this thread closely for these and other tips.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work,

Chuck

Very nice work and a very cool choice of livery

I must admit I do not share your experience with the Aires wheelbay though. I find it to be as close to a drop-in fit as can be. The bulkhead between the two sides will sit a bit too high, but I find that a little sanding of both the Aires part and the kit part that goes over the wheelbay will do the trick nicely.

/Niels

37 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Very nice and clean modeling, which indicates that your skill level is very high, despite your modest introduction.  I am amazed that you got the intake smooth with just Mr Color paint and thinner, since that usually takes a good dip in thick latex paint to achieve the same effect (a la Pete Fleischmann).  Your scratch made ACMI pod is also excellent and much better than any of the resin offerings out there.  My next model is likely a Block 32 Aggressor in the "Ghost" scheme, so I will be following this thread closely for these and other tips.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work,

Chuck

Thank you very much for your nice compliments Chuck, I really appreciate it. I wanted to get the ACMI pod as realistic as I could so lots of time went into it, but worth it in the end. The Mr Color paint is awesome at filling joints, provided you are patient and work it up layer for layer. The key is to thin it about 80/20 levelling thinner to paint. Also, the Tamiya joint was very good so it really helped as well.

Good luck with your planned Block 32 jet. I hope to see it on here soon.. :)

Regards

Victor

39 minutes ago, SwissFighters said:

To my eye, this picture displays just about the perfect level of weathering at scale. All the details are highlighted but nothing is set in too strong in relief. It looks fantastic. 

Thank you very much for the kind words, I appreciate it. I always try very hard not to overdo the weathering. I kinda like it subtly weathered :)

Victor

Edited by Horrido109

5 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Very nice work and a very cool choice of livery

I must admit I do not share your experience with the Aires wheelbay though. I find it to be as close to a drop-in fit as can be. The bulkhead between the two sides will sit a bit too high, but I find that a little sanding of both the Aires part and the kit part that goes over the wheelbay will do the trick nicely.

/Niels

Thank you Niels.. Yes, the fit issues with the wheel bay could probably be of my own doing :blush:.. Chances are actually quite high that it was me lol

15 minutes ago, Horrido109 said:

Thank you Niels.. Yes, the fit issues with the wheel bay could probably be of my own doing :blush:.. Chances are actually quite high that it was me lol

Hehe - Or maybe the 3 I have made are all wrong :D

Can the aircraft you are making not be built only using the F-16CJ kit alone without using the Thunderbirds Kit? - I thought the airframe mouldings were the same? 

Edited by Zola25

15 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Can the block 30 aircraft not be built only using the F-16CJ kit alone without using the Thunderbirds Kit? - I thought the airframe mouldings were the same? 

The main problem is that Block 30 aircraft had the lightweight landing gear, with different struts that had landing lights on the gear instead of on the nose gear door, and non-bulged MLG doors with different actuators.  Those gear parts aren’t in the CJ kit.  Also, early Block 30 aircraft had the NSI intake, not the MCID as in the CJ kit.

KASL Hobby makes a set of metal light weight gear for the kit, as well as a set of the flat MLG doors and actuators, and a NSI, if you need it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kasl-hobby-k32025-f-16-light-weight-gear-accessories--1371472

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kasl-hobby-k32023-f-16-nsi-seamless-intake-set-tamiya--1368022

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kasl-hobby-k32026-f-16-light-main-landing-gear--1397335

Edited by Dave Williams

47 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The main problem is that Block 30 aircraft had the lightweight landing gear, with different struts that had landing lights on the gear instead of on the nose gear door, and non-bulged MLG doors with different actuators.  Those gear parts aren’t in the CJ kit.  Also, early Block 30 aircraft had the NSI intake, not the MCID as in the CJ kit.

I believe KASL Hobby makes a set of metal light weight gear for the kit, as well as a set of the flat MLG doors and actuators, and a NSI, if you need it.

True - The lightweight landing gear can be sourced from KASL including the non-bulged doors. Its all resin.

I may certainly be wrong, however I believe the Alaskan Aggressor Vipers are all equipped with GE F110-GE-100 engines and that means MCID intakes as far as I know (which is also being fitted from the CJ kit on this build I can see (Grey plastic ^_^)). Was there ever any GE-Engine airframes with NSI intakes? - maybe the F-16N?

If it is a regular Block 30 aircraft I would think that, apart from the landing gear + doors, you could build one from the F-16CJ kit alone. The specific aircraft 86-0295 surely has the MCID Intake and the GE-100 Engine

5d38d3ef100a240aca1121c8?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp

/Niels

Edited by Zola25

Block 30 F-16C prior to 86-0262 were built with the NSI.  Other than maybe a test aircraft or two, they weren’t refitted with the MCID.

The KASL gear legs are metal, not resin.  Also, you have to look at the wheels.  The wheels hubs were normally a different pattern on the Block 30/32 than on the later Blocks.

Edited by Dave Williams

18 hours ago, Zola25 said:

Hehe - Or maybe the 3 I have made are all wrong :D

Can the aircraft you are making not be built only using the F-16CJ kit alone without using the Thunderbirds Kit? - I thought the airframe mouldings were the same? 

Sorry for the late reply to this question, my time zone (South Africa) have me see all the replies to my posts only when I start my computer in the mornings :blush:

Both the Tamiya F-16 kits are very similar and share a lot of common parts. However, the Tamiya CJ kit only contains the late "heavy" gear, whereas the Thunderbirds kit has the lightweight gear and un-bulged gear doors. 86-295 Has the GE endine with big mouth intake and the lightweight gear. The structure of the two gear systems differ quite a bit and the inner details on the gear doors are totally different. So, in order for me to accurately build this specific aircraft I needed the lightweight gear and gear doors of the Thunderbirds kit. I decided to combine the two kits, with the Thunderbirds kit as the base, and essentially provided myself with the option to build this aggressor jet accurately but also have all the parts to make an accurate block 52 with the remaining kit at a later stage, using the NSI (small) intake and PW engine.

The CJ kit also includes a full engine that the Thunderbirds kit doesn'tl. But the Thunderbirds kit includes a lovely stand if you wanted to display the aircraft in flight. The Thunderbirds kit also do not include any ordinance.

For this build I used:

1. Tamiya F-16 Thunderbirds kit as the base.

2. Big mouth intake from the Tamiya F-16CJ kit.   

3. I was considering using the GE exhaust from the CJ kit but elected to go for the Reskit aftermarket item instead. 

4. Aires wheel bay

5. Quinta cockpit set

6. Metal pitot by Master

Apart from this it is pretty much original kit stuff.

Victor

Edited by Horrido109

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

.............. with different struts that had landing lights on the gear instead of on the nose gear door

Good day Dave,

Just a little bit of interesting info relating to the Lightweight vs Heavyweight gear. Previously one feature to recognise the Heavyweight gear was the position of the landing lights on the nose gear door instead of on the main gear leg as in the case of the Lightweight gear. Unfortunately this visual reference in itself isn't accurate anymore because most Lightweight gear F-16's have had their landing lights replaced / relocated to the nose gear door (same as the Heavyweight gear F-16's) while retaining the Lightweight gear. 86-295, Which I'm modelling is such a case and the landing light can clearly be seen on the nose gear door:

123.jpg 

Victor