Which F-4 Phantom for a F-4B?

panzerrob

38 minutes ago, panzerrob said:

Can some-one tell me which F-4J sprues I need to order?

If you've not seen, you can reference instructions here:
F-4C/D: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10002280

F-4J: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10002281

F-4J "USMC" boxing: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10011409 (same as J kit except adds outer pylon and bomb/MER ordnance - this is the better deal kit for most options OOB)

From the F-4J kits you'd probably want sprues:

H (9006217) - USN cockpit/tire parts

J (0116003) - USN airframe parts

The USMC J boxing also includes the outer pylons w/o the wing tanks, that sprue is K (0116006). If you want to use the wing tanks, then skip that sprue, but if you want to hang ordnance on the outer pylons you'll want that little sprue too. (VMFA-323 used both configs in Vietnam - sometimes wing tanks, sometimes centerline tank - though wingtanks seemed more common).

The USMC boxing also includes same ordnance/MER sprues Gx2 from the C/D kit so you can skip ordering that one.

I think that's it. 

Edited by ziggyfoos
links fixed

I agree w/ everything Ziggy said!

Was able to find some photos on my hard drive of my conversion from back in the day. (Please excuse the really poor early digital camera photos). You can see the cuts I made etc. For the thicker bottom, I just sanded it down (had to fill in with styrene where I broke through). I made gear doors and speed brakes by making a template of the kit parts on styrene. I used the AF style pylons and cut them to make the USN style (would be easier to just by the sprues for certain).  Don't remember what I did for the cockpit or the intakes--I know I converted them, but don't remember if I did my own mods or purchased something.

Of course I made it harder by mounting it on the tailhook, and dropping all the flaps. Maybe it's time to do another and do it as a WIP for folks to make their own...? Then someone would come out w/ a 1/32 scale kit.

DCP_4450

DCP_4104

DCP_4456

Washington Move July 2006 288

IMG_4971

-Peter

On 1/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Wow Peter...that's awesome!  Yep, time for you to do another.  I need some company with my Brit conversion!

Rob we'll give you all the help and support to do a conversion.  Even if it is just doing the wings

Cheers Anthony

OK, I’ve lost it...just pulled the trigger on one from HLJ. We’ll see when it arrives, but I’ll start a WIP to show the way. I’ll try it with a J vice a C, only so I could get the drop tank and outboard pylons. Figure then I have the cockpit and only need the exhausts and the IR sensor.

8 hours ago, easixpedro said:

OK, I’ve lost it...just pulled the trigger on one from HLJ. We’ll see when it arrives, but I’ll start a WIP to show the way. I’ll try it with a J vice a C, only so I could get the drop tank and outboard pylons. Figure then I have the cockpit and only need the exhausts and the IR sensor.

Atta boy!  Cant wait to see you do this

5 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Built from the GT Resin conversion:

pm9bgyIujpn5SgQ1nj

Oooh now that's nice!  Those early NAVY Phantoms had the best schemes!

• Kagemusha changed the title to Which F-4 Phantom for a F-4B?

One thing to investigate, these great conversions shown all have the innermost leading edge slat mounted in the up position, which it should be for nearly all Phantoms. Early B's did use them, as I understand it, and can be lowered .

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/how-nearly-60-year-old-us-fighter-battling-chinese-jets-20797?amp

Edited by Lee White

3 hours ago, Lee White said:

One thing to investigate, these great conversions shown all have the innermost leading edge slat mounted in the up position, which it should be for nearly all Phantoms. Early B's did use them, as I understand it, and can be lowered .

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/how-nearly-60-year-old-us-fighter-battling-chinese-jets-20797?amp

You are correct, but there was an airframe change that resulted in them being locked “up,” due to stall issues at catapult launch speeds. There were also issues with the stabilator, eventually led to the new tails.

I’d have to dig, but it was around 65 or so and was rapidly incorporated in the fleet. Anything for Vietnam would have them up. 

• 2 weeks later...