1/32 C-21A Learjet 35

Out2gtcha

It may not be standard in military versions.  I’ve never used a Learjet 35/36 TM.  I used an official Bombardier issued maintenance manual which may or may not be the same as a military issued TM.

It may have been installed via an STC, I can’t remember as I don’t remember doing the conformity inspection on the jet when it was added to our operator certificate.  It may have been done by my predecessor as head of the QA department.  I just remember having to remove it when we had trouble with the right fuselage tank collapsing when it was emptied (which should not happen).

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, Herbert SF said:

I received my Learjet kit this week. 8 days for shipping after announcement is OK.

Ricardo has already shown lot of pics. I am also satisfied with the surface of resin parts. Let´s see how this works during assembly and painting.

45615708ug.jpeg

45615709nu.jpeg

Unfortunately, there are some weird assembly challenges/issues such as positioning the IP and its coaming or the cabin seats.

It is also a pity the Japanese version is an afterthought with none of the internal features and no load under the pylons. Actually, I would recommend building the US version as that one will be FAR easier to reproduce!

For the Japanese version you need to remove the two front bulkheads and if you're not brave close all the cabin window shutters and the entry door. However, if you rather want to open them, be prepared to modify and detail the rear of the pilot and co-pilot seats, remove the foldable table structures out of the cabin floor sides, remove some seats including the rear double one, recreate fully the cabin rear and pressurized bulkhead, add the three black boxes big racks in the cabin, etc, etc...

In comparison, the US interior can simply be built OOTB!

Hi again,

I'm still going progressively though the kit contents. If they are generally very good, two parts are unfortunately totally inaccurate! The pilot and co-pilot seats are really horrendous. They are massive single parts whereas the actual seats are complex systems with fully hollow bases and many movable parts. Hopefully, for the US version most of the seat is hidden. However, at least two missing features will be visible: the movable side arms and the head cushions that are separated from the back. They are actually mounted on a plate fixed to the seat rear and there is a large slot in the plate (between the back and head cushions). This is used for the shoulder belts that are going through to be fixed on the rear of the seat, behind a polygon-shaped plate. Useless to say this is even worse if you want to make a version without the cockpit bulkhead. Hopefully it looks it is possible to modify the kit parts to get something that will look acceptable even if not fully accurate. Globally, this asks for removing most of the rear section (following a line parallel to the back cushion edge) to add the rear details and the missing arm. This also asks for replacing the head cushion with its support plate. I also recommend sawing the lower front edge of the seat bottom from the front cushion edge to the center of the seat depth. Not sure this will be very visible but this is easy to do and may be helpful. The other solution is a full scratchbuilding process. The TM are giving very good views of such seats but take care as they are showing them fully extended in the 'up' position.

Hth

Thierry 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dennis Stronks said:

Hello Thierry,

do you have a source for the interior of the U-36A, I can't find any pictures on the net?

best regards,

Dennis

Yes and it looks I was probably one of the first lucky modellers who found some on the web. I found some pictures when I had the idea to make some searches in Japanese on Google Japan because all my prior searches in English led to nothing. Go back to the links I published in the thread some weeks ago (around page 10).

2 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

This link does not work for me:

http://harukaze.tokyo/2018/11/25/u36a/

says connection refused :(

Very probably because this is an http connection. Unfortunately browsers refuse more and more often to give access to web pages not requiring an encrypted connection. Possibly try with other browser software.

Actually the main challenge to build the interior of the U-36 will not be the addition of the three racks of electronic warfare components or the correction of the front seats. This is the correction of the cabin tub part where you have to remove the side table boxes and add the correct rear bulkhead. This is the number one issue to solve as that printed resin is hard and very brittle.

• 10 months later...