"Sugar's Blues" Late War RCAF Lancaster

Uncarina

2 hours ago, JefH said:

Just catching up on this build.  Stupendous work.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your support!

15 minutes ago, williamj said:

Awesome ...:popcorn:

Thanks also William! Wish I could supply the popcorn :lol:.

Cheers,  Tom

John,

Thanks! I was lucky that I had the right material. I was afraid someone would ask where I got it, because I forgot! I’m a real modeling packrat, and over the years I have collected a stash of shiny material, styrene pieces, and even screens. I found the small bag of screens in there without a label when I was rummaging. At a guess I ordered it from Sprue Brothers. Wish I could be more help!

Cheers,  Tom

Stuart,

Thank you very much! It is definitely one of the more epic builds I’ve undertaken recently, the difference being that I will only be working on Sugar until she is finished. It’s a process of one foot in front of the other with an occasional glance further ahead, but with most of the major airframe components more or less assembled I see camo and markings in my future! 

I still need to contact Pima Air Museum, but until I can make an arrangement I will store her with wings off since I have no room either!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...

“Ahead of us the sky is on fire, glowing with the orange flares of the Pathfinders, the violent bursts of bombs and the arcs of flak and tracer. I see one unfortunate Lancaster get coned by searchlights; three of them lock onto it at once, followed by many more, and I know that in the cockpit the pilot will be blinded by the dazzling light. The flak gunners lock onto it, and soon it seems every gun is aiming at that one aircraft, which starts to roll all over the sky and dive in an attempt to get away. The men inside could have been eating bacon and eggs with me a few hours ago, now they are trapped in their heaving plane as the shells burst all around it. Away to the right, another has been coned too, and explosions are making colourful but deadly patterns on every side. But it’s them, not us, and every moment the guns are concentrating on them, we are getting closer to our target in the darkness. Their peril means our salvation. ‘Left, steady, that’s it Skip, nearly there …’”

— BOMB DOORS OPEN: From East End boy to Lancaster Bomber Pilot with 617 'Dambuster' Squadron by Ken Trent

https://a.co/4Dap3lL

At LONG last I've finished the wings, aside from the flaps and LG doors which I will be adding after painting. The nacelles needed a bit of blending with the wing, followed by the inevitable scribing and riveting, but those enormous wings are each molded in one piece aside from the tips, and this saves a lot of work. Now I will be moving on to the tailplane, and I see paint in the future!

I'm pretty pleased with how the radiator/inlet modifications worked out:

6HDUbWL.jpg

hceDKUc.jpg

gPdaXaj.jpg

She sure is BIG!

rvEHaSw.jpg

S6TKWx8.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina