DH 82A Tiger Moth S Rhodesia 1943

mozart

So everything's pretty much ready for the top wing to go on, then rigging.

xsvhdX.jpg

The only thing I'm not happy about are the wind shields, they are rather thick and at present don't seem to fit too well:

oTc3GR.jpg

I'm thinking of trying to cut some frames from 10 thou plastic using the Silhouette cutter and put some clear plastic behind them.  Worth a try I reckon.  And a warning to future builders, the wing/fuselage join, even though supported by extra rods, is worryingly fragile.  Due to the angle of the wing there is not a lot of surface area to put glue onto, so every time I handle the model and put it down, I'm conscious of this.  I'm hoping and expecting that the top wing and rigging will strengthen it all.

I know what you mean Kev, it is daunting but if you're methodical and you're certain about which way you're going to do it, it's not too bad.  I'm using stretched sprue for the wires in front of the cockpit into the nose and maybe between the fore and aft interplane struts.

That looks wonderful Max. As to the windscreens............

All this talk of printing plastic card on the Silhouette..............I was thinking the same,  making a pattern from paper of the outside of the screens, then x-fer onto some thin card stock, to be cut out from the Silhouette. From there as you say, insert some clear plastic for the front and sides. 

Taking a few measurements: 

7oqZDx.jpg

ovavpS.jpg

to base my drawing on:

jK6atU.png

and ready to cut, just 7mm high:

kXXsZR.png

and for Silhouette users, the cutting details for 10 thou plastic sheet:

2JREA9.png

The end result looks promising, it's worth just running a sharp point around the cut line to ease getting the frames out:

eWXYoR.jpg

The one standing up was the prototype which is why it's a bit wonky on one side!!  Just a coat of yellow and some glazing now....:D

ocM96C.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks Guy, and sorry Brian, they're not for sale!  I'll send you some free, gratis and for nothing.....but sell? Nah, sorry! :rolleyes:

I added to the design slightly this morning, small tabs which hopefully will help with keeping them in place:

pqk0qU.png

and with a new blade in the cutter (the previous one has lasted 6 years, so not bad!):

mnFSO4.jpg

The clear panels are simply the front framework but outline only, also cut on the Silhouette.  And painted and looking OK!  Some tidying up to do tomorrow when all is dried:

2srTQU.jpg

19 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent work, Max! Very creative use of the Silhouette cutter. Just send Brian the cut file, and let him cut them himself!

Kev

Thanks Kev. I’ll certainly put all of my Tiger Moth files over on https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/index.php for anybody to use if they wish but I’m equally happy to send out any cut frames and windows.