RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Thanks Derek....you are correct, lets hope I captured it when its finished!

Quick update before going to work.  Wasn't going to bother but it might be of interest.  Hard to se 4 or 5 hours work here just on this side.  See the slight curvature I now have on the side, pretty hard to photograph with only 2 hands sorry...

pqrWuB.jpg

Aaaaand it dosent look any different after all that work LOL

6qCZA3.jpg

Iain Ogilvie has kindly given me permission to use some of his photos on my build to illustrate what I am trying to achieve 

This is quite a good one

si2dbW.jpg

JqLO6A.jpg

Anyhow, hope this is of interest to those wanting to build a Brit Toom 

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Indeed, those few inches make a huge difference!

Great work on those intakes and fuselage structure Anthony (the absolute real pay-off, of course, will be when the model is completed and is posed in a manner which matches a photograph of the actual aircraft and no one can tell the difference between the two!).

Derek

Derek, quick question on your picture.  Does that show that a second skin was added for the Brit versions?  I don't know if I'm missing something, but it looks almost like there's a second skin there where the Spey intake went on?

Matt 

You've indeed got that curve going there. I have no knowledge of Phantoms at all, but looking at the above images and what they convey, you've definitely got that captured well! It's amazing how all the Marks differ! I knew the Brits flew them, but had no idea of the substantial differences that were involved.
Fabulous work indeed!

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Derek, quick question on your picture.  Does that show that a second skin was added for the Brit versions?  I don't know if I'm missing something, but it looks almost like there's a second skin there where the Spey intake went on?

Matt 

Good question? It is difficult to determine from that image. From my experience, military aircraft structures are not double skinned. I am no Phantom build expert in this area, but I believe that fuel tanks live in this area of the aircraft spine along its length, so it may be internal tank skinning (or may be what is left of it after they cut the fuselage!).

Regards

Derek

Hi Anthony,

It's possible, but I can see that causing a lot of potential additional structural and weight issues, so it would not really be desirable from a design perspective? (although parts of the original F-4J design do appear to have been modified in areas).

wo0lbzG.jpg

This fuselage does appear to be sectioned in approximately the same place as the J-79 powered F-4 above, but as can be seen (and as we have now come to expect) that it has been extensively modified/redesigned to accommodate the RR Spey engines (the only way of actually verifying this is to have dimension 'D' of my diagram above measured across a US J-79 cockpit section and see if it is the same or not?).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Morning gents

My two cents worth as someone who knows nothing about Phantoms, but looking at the two images of that C and the Spey Phantoms side-by-side at the disassembly point - I would hazard a guess that the Spey version is a total redesign that would have involved it's own production process - there is very little that is actually similar between those two aircraft at that station except for the basic shape and some of the piping, etc. I think that the redesign starts even further forward down the fuselage, perhaps just behind the aft cockpit. That "double-skinning" I think would be part of the design to accommodate the airflow acoustics of the Spey engine and the strengthening required for that airflow - there is a lot of pressure build-up at the intake, and slapping a different engine on that sucks more air, creates more pressure, etc without any sort of redesign of the intake would most likely cause that intake to collapse inwards on itself. 
My guess is although you're looking at the same aircraft shape at a glance, that's almost where the similarity ends. They are so different under that skin....

Yes I think you are both correct.  On studying all the images and listening to the reasoning it appears they are very different structurally (as Derek says, there may be some parts J-79 airframe parts incorporated), but otherwise a whole different beast that looks like a Phantom!

Thanks Chaps, such an interesting study....

Edited by Anthony in NZ

I honestly think it's exactly like the legacy Hornet vs. Super Hornet.  USN leadership got it past (i.e. hoodwinked) Congress by saying it's the same airplane, when the reality is much different.  Sure there's parts commonality, but the Super Hornet is about 30% bigger if memory serves (it might not, so don't quote me). But by saying it was an upgrade to the same airframe, the navy bypassed all the bureaucratic requirements to buy a brand new aircraft (including all the testing requirements, which were still done, albeit at a lower threshold).  Wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened back in the day if the MoD really wanted an upgrade, but couldn't get it past leadership. Enter McD (now Boeing so you can see the pattern) with a plan to pitch...  seems plausible enough and leaves modelers the world over wondering!

9 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

I honestly think it's exactly like the legacy Hornet vs. Super Hornet.  USN leadership got it past (i.e. hoodwinked) Congress by saying it's the same airplane, when the reality is much different.  Sure there's parts commonality, but the Super Hornet is about 30% bigger if memory serves (it might not, so don't quote me). But by saying it was an upgrade to the same airframe, the navy bypassed all the bureaucratic requirements to buy a brand new aircraft (including all the testing requirements, which were still done, albeit at a lower threshold).  Wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened back in the day if the MoD really wanted an upgrade, but couldn't get it past leadership. Enter McD (now Boeing so you can see the pattern) with a plan to pitch...  seems plausible enough and leaves modelers the world over wondering!

Sounds like the same thing to me as well.  Probably most think its the same airframe in the general public arena but to us nerdy modelers we get to know all the differences when we study them in such detail!!

16 hours ago, Derek B said:

Good question? It is difficult to determine from that image. From my experience, military aircraft structures are not double skinned. I am no Phantom build expert in this area, but I believe that fuel tanks live in this area of the aircraft spine along its length, so it may be internal tank skinning (or may be what is left of it after they cut the fuselage!).

Regards

Derek

Great help.  I'm probably the last person to claim expertise on aircraft construction, or the F-4 Phantom, that's just what I thought I saw on that photo.  I could be completely off-base, just seemed somewhat plausible looking at that photo.

Matt 

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Great help.  I'm probably the last person to claim expertise on aircraft construction, or the F-4 Phantom, that's just what I thought I saw on that photo.  I could be completely off-base, just seemed somewhat plausible looking at that photo.

Matt 

I agreed with you too Matt...nice to have it answered.

I was just sitting on the couch after starting on replacing some panel lines before I head off to get my second Pfizer jab,  and I thought for the first time looking at it from this angle , HEY that looks like a British Phantom!  Well it was a big thing in my world because I had been struggling to see the woods for the trees or step back to see the bigger picture. Sorry for the poor pic I just snapped it on my iPhone on the couch at a distance

0pun6z.jpg

Right-O , off for my Jab

Cheers Anthony