Trumpeter F-100F out

Tony T

F-100F released...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235067241-132-north-american-f-100c-f-super-sabre-new-variants-by-trumpeter-f-100f-released/

No sprue shots yet but the specs indicate fewer parts and trees than the F-100D kit. Seem to have ditched the steel legs and likely the engine & trolley parts. 

Yummy. Waited a very long time for this,

Tony 

Still no sprues up yet, but have done a count (yes, almost as bad as rivet counting) of the parts in the operational D kit and it seems the F's the same at 18 sprues, less the D's steel legs and cockpit IP film and with (obviously) some substitute F-specific parts.

The 1970s ANG Deuce A/B nozzle will very likely still have to be sourced from Master Details, if you want a circa 1972-1979 bird, as reviewed here...

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/september/new-releases/resin_master-f100.php

Master Details' website seems to have changed but I have this set and can vouch for it. They also do a more accurate compressor front to replace that on the fictional Trumpeter toy engine.

Harold's AMS, Renaissance and Zactomodels all make useful resin bits which include the correct nose inlet shape, drop tank extension plugs and wheels. I believe the kit wheels are slightly too big in diameter, and replacements have the bonus of restoring the correct gait of the tail.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this kit,

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
ingleeesh

Trumpeter actually did okay on the main gear wheels, they just got the tire sidewalls too tall. Unless  they've corrected them since I built my D, Renaissance's replacements are just resin copies of the kit wheel/tire assembly. I had to chuck mine in a Dremel and turn the tires down a couple of mm to the correct diameter. I haven't seen Harold's, but based on all of his other products I've seen, his are correct. 

I'm assuming they'll reuse the D wing on the F kit. The D wing is too thin, which has the effect of lengthening the main gear struts, so once you replace the kit wheels/tires with aftermarket and shorten the struts by ~3 mm, the model will "sit" right. The 1/48 and 1/72 C kits' wings are also too thin.

Master Details' F-102 afterburner nozzle is great.

Ben (F-100 Rivet Counter :lol:)

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Trumpeter actually did okay on the main gear wheels, they just got the tire sidewalls too tall. Unless  they've corrected them since I built my D, Renaissance's replacements are just resin copies of the kit wheel/tire assembly. I had to chuck mine in a Dremel and turn the tires down a couple of mm to the correct diameter. I haven't seen Harold's, but based on all of his other products I've seen, his are correct. 

I'm assuming they'll reuse the D wing on the F kit. The D wing is too thin, which has the effect of lengthening the main gear struts, so once you replace the kit wheels/tires with aftermarket and shorten the struts by ~3 mm, the model will "sit" right. The 1/48 and 1/72 C kits' wings are also too thin.

Master Details' F-102 afterburner nozzle is great.

Ben (F-100 Rivet Counter :lol:)

Ben, do you have a functioning link to Master Details you could provide, and give us your verdict on their compressor inlet piece? Thanks.

I'm not a Hun expert, but do love the machine, especially the F-100F.

Thanks in advance,

Tony 

17 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Am I wrong or has the Master Details website vanished...? :o

Could be. Yikes! Want a girly lipstick panic ? :o :frantic: :angry2: :frantic: :help:

Planning on a L'Armée de L'Air NMF -100D bird using Berna decals (and some ANG black LTV A-7 decals for correctly sized numbers) and putting my Master Details Deuce burner nozzle on the ANG -100F when there are some Connecticut ANG markings for a SEA camo example.

Gave some spares to Dr Dave @DrDave a few months back but if the F comes with three tank sprues he'll get the second one he needs for his Thunderbirds edition.

Tony 

@Tony T, I think Master Details went out of business several years ago. I saw pictures of their compressor face, but never bought it. It looked pretty good in the photos. They released it not too long after I had adapted a compressor face and donkey d*** from a Hasegawa F-86 engine and closed the fuselage. Fortunately, the F has a long intake, so the compressor might be even more hidden than it is on the D. 

@jenshb, IIRC, the wings were about 50% too thin. It's been years since I battled the D kit, but the wings were about the same thickness at the main gear wells as the correct 1/48 Monogram kit's wings. I thought about trying to fix them with styrene and spacers, but decided not to, since it would have required a lot of scratchbuilding to deepen the wheel wells, too. By then, I was so sick of trying to correct the problems with the kit that I just lopped 3 mm off the tops of the main gear struts and hid the whole mess behind the drop tanks. :crying:

Ben

4 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

@Tony T, I think Master Details went out of business several years ago.

No. I've ordered from MD as recently as a month or more ago.

They have even recently been releasing many new pilot figures in the last few months.