Got my jet back from rehab- The Wave

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- L-39 skyhook planning
On 3/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

I need to get the OPL’s L-39 up to Alaska. Exploring external tank options; so we uploaded these to function check them-

5PIeHoR.jpg

unfortunately I can’t get this load off of the short KIOW runway. Might have to upload the tanks at KCID and launch from there-

P

Need someone to keep you company? :D

On 3/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

I need to get the OPL’s L-39 up to Alaska. Exploring external tank options; so we uploaded these to function check them-

5PIeHoR.jpg

unfortunately I can’t get this load off of the short KIOW runway. Might have to upload the tanks at KCID and launch from there-

P

Is that all gas or is the little one a blivet?

Hi Pete! Can’t you get a bladder into the rear seat area? We use a bladder to give us an extended 14 hour range on the Twin Otter and it works like a charm to get ferries done! 

I read once that there are custom bladders that fit seats and as the fuel is used they collapse upon themselves. I would assume though, that you guys dont have the plumbing up front to reach the rear fuselage/wing tanks? 

Sounds like a great trip up north though! 

Enjoy! 

Cheers

Alan

17 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Hi Pete! Can’t you get a bladder into the rear seat area? We use a bladder to give us an extended 14 hour range on the Twin Otter and it works like a charm to get ferries done! 

I read once that there are custom bladders that fit seats and as the fuel is used they collapse upon themselves. I would assume though, that you guys dont have the plumbing up front to reach the rear fuselage/wing tanks? 

Sounds like a great trip up north though! 

Enjoy! 

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan-

I’m sure we could..and it’s a good idea.. but we’ll be taking two pilots.

cheers

P

Are those tanks jettisonable?     Need any FAA approvals to add those or are they part of the original type certifications?

Unrelated question - all these jets had a 23mm cannon fitted, right?  If so, what if anything, is installed in the ammo magazine?

Edited by John1

34 minutes ago, John1 said:

Are those tanks jettisonable?     Need any FAA approvals to add those or are they part of the original type certifications?

Unrelated question - all these jets had a 23mm cannon fitted, right?  If so, what if anything, is installed in the ammo magazine?

Jettisonable tanks are generally prohibited for civilian jets like this. Some DOD contractors have waivers to fly with jettisonable tanks.

These are original equipment tanks. No additional approval is required to upload them.

Type certificate is a misnomer for these jets. There is no US type certificate for these. Although manufactured by Aero, the FAA has lumped them into the experimental category. Good and bad.

Only The L-39ZA’s had the cannon. This one is a ZA. Occasionally the magazine area is used for avionics. Ours is currently empty.

cheers

P

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Got my jet back from rehab- Your tax dollars at work

Does that cutout in the backseater's blast shield service any purpose?  Maybe to allow him to tap the pilot on the shoulder to make sure he's awake or pass up a can of dip?  

Watcha doing for the DOD?  Inquiring minds want to know.

5 hours ago, John1 said:

Does that cutout in the backseater's blast shield service any purpose?  Maybe to allow him to tap the pilot on the shoulder to make sure he's awake or pass up a can of dip?  

Watcha doing for the DOD?  Inquiring minds want to know.

yep- that is the dip-passer hole!

we’re flying some contractor created one-off experimental data link pods. Like ACMI pods on steroids 

• 1 month later...