D-Day. 76 years ago today....

Mark P

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Indeed.  

And appropriate words that have never been truer than today:  

"Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it."

Actually, the problem is precisely that many remember history very well and want to repeat it. ^_^ 

Radu 

My Dad was in that. He really didn't talk much about it . Out of 123 men of the original men that was in his group during the war only 23 made it back.  I think a lot of those guy's wanted to forget about the war and move on. 

2 hours ago, Radub said:

Actually, the problem is precisely that many remember history very well and want to repeat it. ^_^ 

Radu 

ouch!!!!

I had an uncle from Philadelphia who was in "The Red Devils" tank division. If memory serves me correctly, he was a driver. He NEVER wanted to talk about his experiences. I think he was traumatized for life.

My father had a cousin who was a Navigator in the RCAF. Flew 79 missions in the war. Also quite traumatized, but oddly, unlike my uncle, he had no problems talking about what he and his mates went through. People respond differently to these types of trauma. They are all heroes to me, and they truly are "The Greatest Generation". Sadly, the veterans of this horrific conflict are almost all gone now, and who will bear witness after they ARE all gone? That is what worries me at night. As it should all of us, who cherish freedom and democracy. Sorry, don't want to get preachy here. Lest we forget.....

I was a ground zero eyewitness to 9/11. I can understand not wanting to talk about things you see during such times; my grandfather never spoke to me about his time in the PTO, and he was a Marine Air Corps pilot so not even on the front down in the dirt. I don't enjoy telling people I watched helplessly as office workers tumbled from windows. But I tell my story every 9/11 to my students so it won't be forgotten (by some at least) and to let off some of the pressure the memories build inside me.

Just saw this thread. The wife and myself were at Omaha Beach on June 5th last year. The cruise ship we were on took us there for about 10 hours or so. It was truly a special experience walking in the American Cemetery where so many youngsters made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. Another special place is Pointe du Hoc where so many Rangers died while trying to scale the cliffs to capture that position.

4B5B7D5C-2DFC-40BC-8D62-A7546FCE3FD5.jpg9E42FF39-864C-430C-A713-13ED9B2600B4.jpg1EAE7C31-B061-45DA-9C73-7414E317AFB3.jpgDDBECE93-CEE3-4197-919B-2DBB805A3C8D.jpg7FA1F5EA-C377-4D32-BFB8-CEB415716DF7.jpg