F4J Phantom Tamiya

vvwse4

14 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Well that sucks, but there is no need to strip anything.  Just lightly sand the paint and re-spray it and while you're at it, this will give you a chance to apply different shades of the paint all over to give it a weathered look.  As for the masks, try them on something else and practice, because they can be tricky to apply.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I sure sucks. I have an idea to restore it. After sanding I give it a coat of medium gray and after that a light gray coat. For the undersite I will use the light gray coat first before applying the white. Something like that will work, although I must take care not to make sharp edges.

What do you think?

Cheers Rick

Edited by vvwse4

12 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Set it aside for a couple of days and give it a fresh look later. You can't give up on it after all that great work. The masks do take some practice for sure. A paint mule will give you something to practice on without worrying about it. I have a old wing that has been through about every experiment you could think of and it's a great learning tool.

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I was quite frustrated yesterday, but hey this is fun right? The mask are more difficult when you applie them in a curve or a bending, a flat surface is not that difficult. I will figure it out someday.

Rick

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The guys are right, just don't give up now! If you don't want to try painting the national insignia again, send my your address via PN and I'll send you a set of stars'n'bars from CAM if you want. 

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the kind words. 

I want to give the masks another try, I want to cut them out of Tamiya tape this time, if that fails I want to use decals and use your kind offer. But first restore the parts that were spoiled yesterday.

Rick

• 1 year later...

OK it has been quite a while. Moved to another house and got myself an awsome mancave which is sort of ready now. Now I have find some free time between work and life stuff but this thing is not dead, yet.........

Remember this one? The more I lookes at it the more I did not like what I was looking at so

DSCN6820 DSCN6822

Stripped the paint, I think starting all over will be a better option instead of getting pissed off every time I look at it.

DSCN6826 DSCN6827 DSCN6828

Progress will be painfully slow as usual.

Rick

Edited by vvwse4

11 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

OK it has been quite a while. Moved to another house and got myself an awsome mancave which is sort of ready now. Now I have find some free time between work and life stuff but this thing is not dead, yet.........

Remember this one? The more I lookes at it the more I did not like what I was looking at so

DSCN6820 DSCN6822

Stripped the paint, I think starting all over will be a better option instead of getting pissed off every time I look at it.

DSCN6826 DSCN6827 DSCN6828

Progress will be painfully slow as usual.

Rick

Good choice.  As I returned to the hobby that used to consist of slapping together models as fast as I could, the process is the enjoyment for me.  Sure, I want a nice model, but the hobby is a distraction from stress for me, so I decided to only move forward on a project once I am sure I have obtained the best result I am capable of.  It's really not difficult to re do something you thought was finished. It can be frustrating if you let it, but the end result is so much better for me than to have to tell everyone who looks at a model "I screwed this and that up".  This is going to be something you can rightfully be proud of.  Keep going.  

16 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hey Rick!  So pleased you are settled in again and have you big beautiful Phantom back on the bench! 

Now...first things first....you need to clutter up your workspace more so that you only have 6 square inches to work in like the rest of us!:D

Cheers buddy

Anthony

Hi Anthony, thanks. Hmm I was just getting used to the space.........the 6 inches will be reached asap!

13 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Good choice.  As I returned to the hobby that used to consist of slapping together models as fast as I could, the process is the enjoyment for me.  Sure, I want a nice model, but the hobby is a distraction from stress for me, so I decided to only move forward on a project once I am sure I have obtained the best result I am capable of.  It's really not difficult to re do something you thought was finished. It can be frustrating if you let it, but the end result is so much better for me than to have to tell everyone who looks at a model "I screwed this and that up".  This is going to be something you can rightfully be proud of.  Keep going.  

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...