Belated 1/32 Trumpter Harrier GR7

Orfordness

OK this is going to be a little odd in that I have already posted the finished model and have been asked to post a few WIP pics...

So this is 9or was) the 1/32 Trumpter Harrier GR7, a woefully inaccurate model with little or no changed to anglicise the kit to a UK Harrier II GR7 model as badged....

The nose was had a completely incorrect profile, the gun pods were the wrong size, the pylons the wrong shape as were the external tanks. Most of the weapons fit was for a US harrier and so was the cockpit and seat. 

back in 2011 a chap called Perio De Santis did a GR7 build on Brit Modler, he also produced a short run resin accessory set that included a new nose with improved profile, correct FLIR faring and ZEUS Aerials. He added the new BOL launch rail/chaff dispensers, the missing center line pylon and a couple of bits for a later GR9. I was lucjy to pick up a set along with another modllers work on correct fronts for the external tanks (the kit ones are completely the incorrect profile.)n9yKRBN.jpg

Not my pic BTW but shows the new resin front and correct tank profile...

Next was the revision to the cockpit and i elected for the Eduard PE internal set and IIC the Wolfpack Mk12h Seat

XjvpoFH.jpgLFu2Fxa.jpgutJZGmj.jpg

Edited by Orfordness
correction

next was the front nose replacement

7qHK61R.jpg

Piero#s master for the new nose 

GHSBzLG.jpg

A little fettling and filling followed by re-scribing (some too deep ) of the adjacent panel lines...

Around this time I was also lucky to pick up a pair of Tim Perry's CBLS100 Practice Bomb carriers

OAXCH68.jpg

Prior to varnish and decals:

gqCOgGl.jpg

Edited by Orfordness
addition

Having studied and evaluated it for a couple of months weighing up options for various Kestrel/Harrier versions, the Revell 1/32 Harrier GR1 is a creditable stab at it and suprisingly accurate shapewise. The forward nozzle fairings are best remodelled, the cockpit needs rebuilding and if so inclined a couple of degrees added to the wing trailing edge sweep angle.

But OOB? Not really, but neither is it a lost cause.

Plus with the re-issue the decals are halfway decent as well 

The GT7 build is beautiful, I used those updates on mine when they first came out , but that build makes mine looks like a ham fisted 3 years old did it !

Anyone else looking at the PE set wondering how much of it might be transferable o the GR1?. no thought not!

I have one of these kits on the slow boat from China at the moment. Luckily Dave Roof is working on pylons. I have all the Wolfpack sets but oh I wish that nose correction were still available. I’m probably going with the wrap around Green and Grey camouflage retirement scheme for mine so luckily weapons aren’t an issue. But that might change. 

2 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

I have one of these kits on the slow boat from China at the moment. Luckily Dave Roof is working on pylons. I have all the Wolfpack sets but oh I wish that nose correction were still available. I’m probably going with the wrap around Green and Grey camouflage retirement scheme for mine so luckily weapons aren’t an issue. But that might change. 

Just an hint: wing pylons are different between USMC AV-8B and RAF Harrier (GR.5/7/9/10/12).

I suppose Dave is working on the USMC AV-8B version only.

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: No GR.7/9 resin nose available at the moment... CIAO!