Today I will start cleaning the Reskit bomb ejector racks. The casting of such parts is exquisite but cleaning them will be a chore even if each rack is only made of 11 parts. Removing the sway braces from the casting gates will be time-consuming. Moreover, if you multiply by four, you get the point!

I will also have to add some small missing items (some hoses and their connectors). Wait and see.

Well the problem is that the rare pictures are only in black and white.

http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-27/imgcol/index.html shows that the 0X bort numbers looked lighter than the 1X or 2X ones from that unit when they had early MiG-27 but this is possibly a trick of the light or of the photography process. In any case, 06 looks to be possible. I did not find better pictures in Russia.

This site is also an excellent source for Soviet planes seventies pictures: http://www.easternorbat.com/html/soviet_16th_tactical_air_army_1.html

Ok, I'm back on track.

I forgot taking pictures of the Reskit bomb ejector racks but have other things to show in the meanwhile: the engine exhaust.

The LEM parts are barely acceptable and totally miss the movable section of the exhaust. You have the part showed here and a tube going up to the end without afterburner.

ac47yNI.jpg

This is better than nothing but does not look like the correct Tumansky turbine end...

Fortunately, I have the Aires one and if you you just remove the nozzle, you have the correct parts!

However, my set had a major problem: the exhaust tube was clearly too small! There is no way to put the rear engine parts inside! It is exquisitely molded but it looks the silicone mold retracted too much before the casting of that part... Damn it! :BANGHEAD2: I must be quite unlucky as I know at least four modellers who used that resin engine without problem! :(

Rather than cry on my chair and wait weeks for a replacement part, I found a solution. In any case, the rear of the engine will not be that visible. I just had to find a way to insert the engine rear section crown parts. After thirty minutes of assesment, I had a plan! :hmmm:

First I had to solve the issue at the level of the turbine end.

So, I saw the rear section of the Aires tube in which the turbine end is normally inserted and cut out of it a smaller one in which the turbine end must be positioned. I had to do it as there are two small parts that were glued to that section. Look at the picture hereunder and you will see that two protruding yellow-green colored sections to which angled tubes had to be glued. Now, look at the left one (close to the white spot). A section of close to 3mm had been added to its right. This is the diameter that was missing! I made it from the leftover section of the Aires end tube I cut. Jeez!!!

94luCjl.jpg

I also glued the resin V-shaped parts intended to support the nozzle crown-shaped parts. This is a critical step as there is nothing to indicate you what should be the angle of the parts whereas there is no margin for error...  Take a deep breath, cross your fingers and glue... :blowup:

And while we are in a zen mood, this is the correct time for more origami...:mental:

The crown parts are very thin and cutting them out of the resin gates should be done very cautiously. Then they must be added on a photoetched frame to be folded beforehand.

My advice: take a lot of time before starting that as this is very tricky and believe me, this is an understatement.

OEJKXUP.jpg

When done, this is a marvel of fine details but to get that reward needs a lot of patience. Now, I can re-start breathing! :wacko:

And now here is the solution, put the crown part on the engine end supports (the picture is showing a dry assembly), add it in the LEM tube and put over that the Aires cylinder with the cut end. This looks fully acceptable to me.

iO8TQfS.jpg

Note that the crown parts are too far into the LEM tube. I will need to put them closer to the Aires cylinder. However, the dry assembly picture gives a good idea of how should like the final result.

One side-benefit of the use of the underscaled Aires part is to insert it easily in the LEM fuselage end. The rear mechansim made of two parts (yet to add) close to the fuselage end will not be easily added but I think I've found another solution. But this will be for later as this exhaust problem sufficiently required head scratching time for that day!

Cheers!

I forgot posting that technical manual view for the ones willing to correct the HpH nose. As already noted, the location of the armor plates is wrong (3mm too far backwards) but the way the screws are depicted is also incorrect as normally we should not have deep holes but slotted screw heads. If you correct the location, you will also have to move such heads. So, I recommend filling all the holes and recreating more accurate slotted screw heads.

3fIJ0oX.jpg

Hope this helps

Thierry

I'm trying to keep a progress pace even if I did not have a lot of available time for the last days!

I cleaned the small additional intake doors. I'm not that sure this will be really visible with the Eduard photoetched FODs but as there is no way to be sure, I did not want to take any risk.

Before:

JI05CFz.jpg

After:

jOsLc3B.jpg

The easiest option would have been the use of the Quickboost doors but as they will barely be visible, I did not consider them to be worth the (small) expense.

15 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm trying to keep a progress pace even if I did not have a lot of available time for the last days!

I have half a kilo of general encouragement here if you need it. I don't dip into many jet threads - I'm enjoying this one

Richard

14 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the HpH set, I just couldn't get that comparison photo out of my head, worse still when you factor in the real thing, cheers! 

Indeed, when you are comparing both choices, this is a no-brainer. Moreover the resin canopy is a godsend and you will have no problem using the Aires cockpit and front LG sets. However, you will still have to choose which evil you prefer! Either the painful journey I've chosen or the not obvious MiG-27M one that asks for recreating the nose end.  We really need to see more of these LEM kits on LSP.