I worked a little bit on the tail.

One of my Quickboost sets is giving the parachute and the doors closing its housing. So, I decided to open it. The plane will be in preparation status by mechanics. So, this makes sense.

I cut the bullet-shaped fairing and drilled the hole.

AlXh1JT.jpg

The main problem is the fact only a very thin wall of resin will stay in the end. So, it is required to be very cautious to avoid breaking the resin or going through it. Accordingly, for such tasks, I never use a power drill. This is also a better way to control the amount of resin dust. The trick is to find precisely the center of the hole to create and to use progressively larger drills. I used at least 6 of them from 0.5 up to 6.5mm. This is a lengthy task but this is surely the best approach to work properly!

GORhk9e.jpg

As I was playing with the tail part, I also drilled holes in the upper fuselage to secure it later.

ufXSCkz.jpg

I made corresponding holes in the bottom of the tail to be able to add it later. I will put sections of sprues or thick copper wire glued with epoxy to get a strong bond.

Gs3xkR7.jpg

Again, it did not use a power drill. Less flying dust and far more control!

And as the rudder is not a separate part, I used my razor saw the make cuts under and above the part (because this is obviously visible on the full scale plane).

Here is the bottom one:

HgDCvPL.jpg

And the top one:

wQjPbpW.jpg

Those changes look to be trivial but ask for quite a lot of time to be done correctly. This is where you are measuring the difference of required time between assembling a model and modifying things...

And as I had my box of drills opened, I also drilled the landing lights housings under the intake parts. Fortunately, this is one of the rare locations of the kit where resin is sufficiently thick!

1NJjPWh.jpg

I also cut the secondary intakes FOD from the Eduard set. They will very probably be the only parts I will use from the Eduard MiG-23 FOD set but they are quite obvious on the plane as soon as the intake plugs are also used. So, to me they were a must have.

The parts are just folded but this will already give a hint of the final look. I still have to secure the corners with glue and scratchbuild handles and the lock as the flat parts in the Eduard set are just a very pale reproduction of reality.

zFZnBt6.jpg

This also shows how the modified Aires parts are closing the intakes.

Thanks,

No, I did not as I will not use the LEM nose. However, if there is a gap somewhere, it should be between the top edge of the rear bulkhead and the upper fuselage as the LEM top fuselage is a little bit more rounded. Out of my memory, the width of the Trumpeter, HpH and LEM nose are close to be identical as the cockpit level. So, this should not be a problem at that level. Very frankly, I think that with a minimum of elbow grease, you can surely add it without any major issue. I will re-ckeck for you.

Regarding the LEM nose, one item that is clearly out of proportion is the front landing gear well. Here's a comparison between the LEM one and the Aires one that is a detailed copy of the Trumpeter one. Ouch!

eIyyz6g.jpg

I guess this is clearly linked to the fact the middle/front section of the LEM fuselage is close to 5mm too deep and the lower section of the nose accordingly far too rounded.

Andy,

I just had a quick look and you will just have to leave the top part of the rear bulkhead section that is on the LEM part. This will solve the problem I mentioned. The  LEM fuselage is also a little bit larger at the cockpit tub level (1mm). So, this will have an impact on the thickness of the pit sills. They will probably be too large in the end (added thickness of the Aires pit side tops and the LEM fuselage sides) but this is a compromise to accept if you want to use the Aires pit. However, it is so better than the kit one that such a decision is a no brainer.

There's another option than the one I've chosen but it is not really easier: use the HpH nose but with a DIY conversion of its tip to get a MiG-27M...!

You would not have to remove the ECM fairings out of the wing gloves front end and have no need to scratchbuild the Delta N and the camera pods.

Ideally, I would love to replicate this intake art as this is the only non standard one I've ever seen on an early 27:

http://www.16va.be/page_mig-27_pobeda.html

Unfortunately, I've no clue regarding the plane number. It is actually an early MiG-27 as the camera pod shows it. The only think we can probably deduce is that it has very probably a yellow Bort number ending by 6. But is it 06 or 16 or 26?

The main drawing is actually the victory order medal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Victory#/media/File:Orden-Pobeda-Marshal_Vasilevsky.jpg

This would ask for redrawing it or at least starting from a web image of the medal to create a decal. Not that easy but very tempting!

The danger ('опасно') marking on the splitter plate is also quite uncommon.

thierry laurent! You can look for the answer to possible questions in these branches, maybe there will be a photo of your desire. I remember exactly that there was a discussion of this unit, but I can’t indicate the exact location. In the end, you can ask your question!

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54027&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79396&start=0#top

8 hours ago, GROWLER 96 said:

thierry laurent! You can look for the answer to possible questions in these branches, maybe there will be a photo of your desire. I remember exactly that there was a discussion of this unit, but I can’t indicate the exact location. In the end, you can ask your question!

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54027&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79396&start=0#top

Thanks! I had already browsed through that long thread as it gives interesting links. It also helped me to find some other walkarounds. Actually I checked various Russian and Ukrainian sites through Yandex. However, it is true I never considered registering and asking for information there! 

I had less time yesterday as I played with my son (RC boats in the swimming pool!)... :rolleyes:

However, I still allocated a little bit of time to scribing...slowly but surely. This is a task that should be shared over days as you are quickly fed-up, progress is slow and a mistake is quickly occuring as soon as you're losing a little bit of focus...:unsure:

I'm avoiding adding rivets along the panels lines whereas there should be some. This is deliberate as I realized this is less obvious because the resin looks less homogeneous close to them.

CCTPEUF.jpg

Not perfect but acceptable to me!