Hi folks,

I hesitated a long time before posting this thread. I’ve a quite weird modelling practice that is not really compatible with WIP threads as I love working on multiple projects over years. I’m moving from one to another one and come back later. Moreover, in spite of the fact I’ve two SLR digital cameras and various lenses, I do not really use them that much anymore as it is quite time-consuming to prepare everything (batteries, lenses, support, etc.). So, taking pictures is not that easy and finally I’m simply using my mobile camera most of the time!

However, this lockdown period changed the way I’m working. I never worked so much on a kit in what I consider to be a short amount of time. I thought about putting that thread in the Cold War group build but as we are now quite close to the end, this makes more sense to be located in the general WIP forum.

Why an early MiG-27? Well, when I was a teenager, I received the Hasegawa 1/72 MiG-27 and I was immediately attracted by her mud-mover badass look! To me few jets have this brute stance. One major exception is another of my old favorites: the BAC Jaguar. Alas, this is another missing link in large scale. I was hooked and when the Trumpeter MiG-23 was released, I immediately hoped the 27 would follow… but it never came…!

So, for quite some time, I hesitated before purchasing the LEM-Ruporator kit even if this was the only existing option. This was their very first 1/32 model, it had quite mixed reviews on the web and the shapes looked suspect to me. However, the casting looked incredible.

Finally, this project became far more complicated than initially foreseen.  The ones who know me will not be surprised seeing another Frankenstein creature developed in my laboratory ;-)

SAxkt2Q.jpg

Now, take a deep breath before reading the following posts!

The casting of the LEM-Ruporator kit is simply incredible. Except some Fisher parts in some of his late kits, nobody is reaching such a level. Here is a list of the good features:

- Large strong but thin parts (comparable to injected plastic)

- Close to no air bubble in the castings

- No dimensional discrepancy linked to casting

- No casting gate and cleaning of parts is very limited

- Very smooth surface with correct scribing (even if not fully accurate)

- LG leg parts reinforced with metal wire core

- Antennas reinforced with metal wire core

- Fully closed fuselage and nose with separate parts for the LG doors (giving up or down LG options)

- Choice of rocket pods and two types of bombs

- printed film for the IP instruments

Cu9TJYp.jpg

This could be a dream kit if… there was no other problem. And unfortunately, there are some and most are not minor ones:

• Detail is VERY basic (landing gear bays, exhaust, cockpit, etc.)
  • No tab to assemble anything. So, you are on your own to design reinforcements and additional items to strengthen everything
  • Average vacuformed canopies without internal details
  • Some big dimensional errors that are VERY difficult to solve
  • No instructions whereas the kit is made of close to 130 parts (just a CD with some plans and a small walkaround)
  • No decal
  • No engraved screws whereas they are quite visible on the full scale plane (typically on the top of the fuselage)
  • No air intake rear section
  • Too large LG bays (not terrible for the main but far too large for the front one)

So, this is really a mixed bag!

Another thing that annoyed me was the version. The LEM kit is a MiG-27M. That version was the one with the most attractive schemes with the Guards unit crest marking on the air intakes, shark mouth under the nose, some quite attractive nose arts and Afghanistan mission markings. Moreover, this was also the one for which we can find the most important amount of good pictures. Alas, this was not my favorite one. I really prefer the look of the initial version named ‘Sans suffixe’ (without suffix) or even the MiG-27K with her bullet fairing antenna on the nose.

Finally, I decided the topic was worth the effort and got the kit!

The MiG-27 ‘sans suffixe’ was initially known as the MiG-23BM because this was a development of the MiG-23BN (they shared the same nose). It was renamed MiG-27 because of the amount of changes: most of the lower fuselage was changed with thicker MLG tires and deeper wells, the 30mm six tubes Gsh gun, the removal of the afterburner and the simpler and more rounded air intakes.

The version appeared at the beginning of the seventies and was used up to mid-eighties when most airframes went back to the factory to be updated to the M level. Then, they became MiG-27D.

This gave me an idea: get the HpH MiG-23BN nose and use it with the LEM MiG-27M kit. THEORETICALLY, this should more or less result in an early MiG-27. I had a plan, well at least sort of a plan.

xmm8zP5.jpg

Moreover, as the HpH nose is intended to convert the Trumpeter MiG-23MF, this also gave the possibility to use some Aires sets, typically the cockpit and the front LG bay.

8IbIhgA.jpg

I also considered using part of a Trumpeter MiG-23. Typically for the upper fuselage scribing and wing box structure. This would have solved some major drawbacks of the LEM kit. However, the Trumpeter MiG-23MF is for a weird reason the least available version and so it stays the most expensive one. I also put the Trumpeter kit out of the picture for one other big reason: the fuselage shape. Combining part of the LEM lower fuselage would have terribly complicated the assembly. The LEM-Ruporator master was hand-made and the belly is not fully symmetrical. This is not a big deal as when the kit is on the LG this is invisible. However, when it comes to combine it with another kit, this is another matter. This would have asked for major surgery with many more scratchbuilt reinforcement parts and I was also afraid of the resulting weight consequence.

It is not that easy to see but that picture shows that the bulges at LG bay level are not totally identical (the left one on the picture being thicker than the right one):

rYkwEsX.jpg

Now, what about the references? Well, the initial MiG-27 is very badly covered for multiple reasons. First, it was only used by the Soviet air force. That version was never exported to any ally as the lower-grade MiG-23BN quickly became “THE” export ground attack version. Second, the plane was only used from the beginning of the seventies up to the mid-eighties. We were still in the middle of the Cold War and the use of cameras on military bases was strictly controlled behind the Iron Curtain. Digital camera were still science fiction. So, there are few pictures and even fewer color ones (out of the prototypes or the planes in museums, I possibly know a dozen of them). However, I finally succeeded in getting the relevant information. Besides pictures found on Russian and Ukrainian websites and modelling forums, I mainly used the Gordon-Kommissarov big book and the RV set of scale plans. I have three Soviet MiG-27 ebooks but they were close to useless as they also focus mainly on the modernized K, M and D versions.

So, the final idea combined the following elements:

• LEM-Ruporator MiG-27M for the rear fuselage, wings, stabs, pylons and tail

• HpH Mig-23BN conversion set for the nose, front LG wheels, canopies

• Aires big MiG-23 detail set for most of the cockpit parts, the exhaust parts (but not the afterburner) and the LG bays

• Quickboost sets for the fuselage small air intakes, MiG-23BN tail fin, MiG-23 FODs (to be converted) and rear fuselage pylons

• Eduard FOD set (for the air intake additional doors)

• Profimodeller front LG bay (alas again a quite expensive add-on as only some parts will be used)

• Reskit MBD2-67U multiple bomb ejector racks (two sets)

• Leftover parts from a MiG-23ML: the drop tanks and their pylons

Plus a ton of resin, plastic card, epoxy putty and CA glue!  With many hours of work, we should get an early Soviet MiG-27 with a pilot and mechanic close to the plane.

I will add some Soviet diorama items (the rear fuselage trolley from the Trumpeter MiG-23ML, one Reedoak Soviet mechanic and one figure from the Profimodeller Warpac pilots set holding a Reedoak helmet, Profimodeller wheel chocks, one HAD fire extinguisher, etc.).

a6x3Amg.jpg

The initial analysis of the LEM kit confirmed my feeling regarding the shapes. The main problem is the fuselage depth. It is close to 5mm too deep in the central fuselage section (just at air intakes level). This is a complex issue as the rear fuselage is globally correct. So, the problem must be solved between the main and the front landing gear. Hopefully, the front zone will not be a so major issue as the HpH kit shapes are globally sound.

After a deeper look, I realized the following correction changes were required on the LEM kit:

First: Decrease the fuselage height. This includes a triangle wedge shape of close to 3mm to remove at the bulkhead level. The following picture shows what was cut from both fuselage halves.

saWhwYz.jpg

You can see that with some strength, it will be possible to close the fuselage!

FGEitqo.jpg

The belly should also be sanded as it is too rounded (close to 2mm). However, one of the advantages of the LEM kit is becoming a drawback. Indeed, the resin is too thin to sand 2mm.

gEMYxkV.jpg

So, I decided to cast some resin in the lower fuselage. That way, I could sand without any risk to go through the part.

K3Z0GLs.jpg

I used the lower contour of the HpH part to define the correct amount of sanding that was required.

MPFodZy.jpg

Correcting the height has alas side effects. The air intakes and splitter plates are now too high as well and this issue extends to the LERX zone!

Correcting the splitter plates is very easy but the intakes were more complex. I had to think a lot about the 3mm to cut to avoid problems. The location of the small intakes on the side were the main problem. Fortunately, a diagonal cut solved the issue!

fXXq6th.jpg

The splitter plate modification:

tKUnEDi.jpg

And a comparison: before and after!

eAA1fjC.jpg

The wing gloves/LERX zone needs drastic changes. First, the ECM fairings need to be removed and a normal leading edge restored.

U9R456c.jpg

Both modified with a lot of patience:

ERKwqem.jpg

The thickness issue will be managed later as I want to find a solution that will also help in fixing the wings.

The LEM nose is an incredible casting!

DBfgrIX.jpg

iBjfEGg.jpg

...but as abovementioned, it has major dimension issues and the detail level is quite different.

Here's a comparison between both (but keep in mind the M had a different nose tip):

99r3XO2.jpg

The nose side antenna shape:

9OamsZB.jpg

With regard to the HpH nose, the situation is better but not ideal for the following reasons:

The nose is globally correct but tailored to be mated to the Trumpeter fuselage. However, the cut between the main fuselage and the nose is located three millimeters backwards on the Trumpeter kit in comparison with the LEM one. As the cross sections of both kits are quite different at that level, I could not really cut a slice of the LEM part. So, I had to extend the HpH nose. I assessed correctly the difference thanks to the dry positioning of the corrected LEM intakes. I used thick Evergreen strips glued with CA and sanded. This will also help later in getting a strong bond with the LEM fuselage.

CpMz70K.jpg

The nose is intended to use the MiG-23 air intakes with the variramps whereas the MiG-27 had simplified intakes with basic and shorter splitter plates. This means that I had to remove part of the triangle-shaped structure intended to support each plate. However, as the resin is quite thin, it was obvious that I was going to cut and sand through the part. So, I used the same trick than for the belly. I casted some resin on the other side. This additional weight will also be useful to avoid the tail-sitter syndrome. I’m not that sure the shape I got is fully accurate as it is probably concave rather than convex but as I found conflicting information and this will be nearly invisible, I just tried to get symmetrical results!

The armor plates on each side of the nose are wrongly located (3mm too far backwards!). If that is not that much visible on a 23BN thanks to the variramps, this is very visible on the 27. So, this also asked for correction. I removed the rear edge and added one on the other side. I still have to define the edges and add final detail (bolts, canopy opening handle, etc.).

The LEM main LG bays are VERY basic whereas the Aires ones are exquisite. However, as the kit is not really symmetrical at that level, it was a true nightmare to use them (the LEM part takes that issue into consideration).

foGtRNt.jpg

I added plasticard with CA glue to enlarge some parts of the Aires wells before adding them in the fuselage. When the glue had dried I filled all the creases with white Milliput, than sanded it. I still have to correct some small blemishes here and there and recreate some small rivet lines but the dirty work is fortunately behind me!

N4pVREz.jpg

I did my best with a mix of CA glue and epoxy to position them. Even if the LEM fuselage was symmetrical, this would have been difficult as the fuselage of the 27 is fatter because of the sturdier LG and noticeably thicker tires. The combination of both issues resulted in a very complex assembly. I did my best but will probably have further problems to solve to position correctly the LG legs. However, I’m solving issues one after the other!

ytnO7Wi.jpg

Frankly, I’m not that sure my approach was the best one when I’m looking at the amount of work. I’m wondering if it would not have been better to use leftover parts from my Trumpeter kit or even detail the LEM well.

nXRygrE.jpg

The final result would have probably be less detailed but the amount of work would have been far lower. I let you do your own assessment!

dqSIWxW.jpg

Fortunately, the main LG bays did not noticeably evolve between the 23 and the 27. There are differences in the main tubes and hoses going through the bays. I had to cautiously remove the large one going through the port well to add two new ones. There is also a boxy structure to add on the middle of the bay. This has yet to be done. On the starboard side, I added three new hoses. Such changes were actually required as the added hoses were actually yellow-painted on the full-scale plane. So, leaving such modifications aside would have been quite noticeable.

0kvHwSB.jpg

The big challenge will be to find a way to combine the LEM legs with the Aires bays.

SPfyznr.jpg

I added plastic bulkheads and a lot of epoxy glue to get a very strong “box”. This is important as this area will support the most important part of the kit weight.

If you still had doubts about the belly symetry issue...

6LLnvdL.jpg

Fortunately, only you and me will be aware when the kit will be on the landing gear ;-)

I went from complex areas to simple ones to avoid being “burnt” too quickly!

Here’s a view of the trolley supporting the rear fuselage (as the 23 and 27 share the same rear fuselage, they quite logically used the same equipment). I also cleaned the Reedoak mechanic. One small Albion tube section will be added to show the guy trailing the trolley close to the plane.

8Qqc4Uv.jpg

And here's the Profimodeller pilot with the Reedoak helmet he will keep in his hands:

jvLDzNs.jpg

I simply hope that they will not forget sending me the missing figure in my set...!

DnwloKY.jpg