Which Skyraider to get. ZM or Trumpeter.

ade rowlands

So in rebuilding my 1/32 stash from my oh so brief journey in to the lands of 1/48 I have come to realise my new stash is disproportionate with its lean towards jet types. Actually apart from my 2 Tamiya Spitfires and Mosquito, Hasegawa 109G-6, F-4 and A6M5c it’s all jets. The props are outnumbered 3 to 1. I’m quite in to the Air war over Vietnam at the moment and quite fancy adding a Skyraider to the pile. So the question is which to get ZM or Trumpeter? I’ve looked at a few builds of each and haven’t really come to any conclusion. So I’m looking to those who have the kits, who have built them as to the pros and cons of each. I’m also not decided on Navy or Air Force versions as Navy offers you some snazzy paint schemes but Air Force offers you the Sandy missions and Napalm. The price point isn’t the deciding factor either. Thanks. 

In summary , and other people will fill in  the details, but in summary ,for ease of build the Trumpeter, for absolute accuracy , ZM

The Trumpeter needs a new prop, thanks Harold,  and the canopy is too big , but it does look the part ,  not counting the misshapen cowling  

The great achilles heel of the ZM kit is the wing foldm its far too flimsey to support the weight of the wings , and to be honest its just a faff

For refence , I've built one ZM A-1J from the box, a Tumpter A-1H also from the box, and 2 A-1E's using he fisher conversions and the Trumoter kits 

You say the wing folding is too weak on the ZM version, even if it’s glued in the folded up position as I would likely do i I went for the Navy version of the kit? And does the Trumpeter kit offer a folded wing option?

Edited by ade rowlands

3 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

You say the wing folding is too weak on the ZM version, even if it’s glued in the folded up position as I would likely do i I went for the Navy version of the kit? And does the Trumpeter kit offer a folded wing option?

I didn't have any issues with the wing fold on my ZM kit. On my build they still fold and haven't collapsed after 2 1/2 years in the up position. I did have a drop tank fall off though. 

IMG_20200411_191540-L.jpg

The build thread should be on the site somewhere. 

Carl

12 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Are y’all saying the ZM wing can be moved after building it?  I have the kit, never dug into it though.  I’m using the Trumpeter kit as the donor for my fat face builds.  

Here you go, I managed to get it down and take a couple quick pics. A bit dusty though. 

IMG_20200411_193446-L.jpg

IMG_20200411_193502-L.jpg

Close up of the wing fold joint

IMG_20200411_193509-L.jpg

I think the gap is fairly acceptable.

Carl

Thanks guys. I’m going to go for the ZM kit. Still to decide on Air Force or Navy. Only room for one. Navy has folded wings, colourful markings I’m thinking Bumble bee tail (plus I’ve visited the USS Intrepid several times where it flew off) but the Air Force appeals with its Sandy missions. Did the Air Force versions retain the folded wing and was it used often?