ICM Stearman PT-17/N2S-3 Kaydet -3D renders

Jan_G

The early national insignia with red center is the same for Army and Navy.  The U. S. Navy for fuselage sides is only thing missing from decal sheet.  

It appears the PT-13/N2S-2  version, kit number 32052 may have early Navy markings, including the red fuselage stripe (Instrument trainer) so commonly seen on restored Navy versions, but which was far less common in Navy service. 

33GU5V.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Wait ‘till you see the zebra striped birds!

The “Recall Birds” were definitely different and one of the really few interesting paint schemes.

The problem with in service Stearmans are the limited selection of markings.  Pre-/early war Army blue and yellow, pre-war Navy all yellow, early war Navy mixed yellow and silver and mid-war and on all silver for both which can almost be hard to tell apart in some photos.  

There were some small number, less than 100, blue and yellow Navy Stearmans.  They were Army PT-17s diverted, still with blue fuselages, to navy with yellow US Navy on fuselage.  That is a rare but historic option.  I’ll see if I can’t find a picture of one. 

another option is mixed color schemes between the different ones as aircraft were repaired with different color wings, tail, etc. 

Below is a good picture of the Navy mixed yellow and silver.  

k4dWG2.jpg

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Dana Bell sent us several hundred photos he found at NARA, mostly of Navy N2S’s of various types.  Every air station had different markings, and almost none of them looked like that restored bird with the stripes.  It definitely existed, but it wasn’t common.  Not sure if we’ll do a decal for it, but since 99% of the markings are black, I may make some laser printed ones available once I get hold of the kit.  

Wait ‘till you see the zebra striped birds!

Like I said, I have a combination set for this scheme at 1/48, can't remember who did them though. I would just like the same in 1/32. It's a standard Navy Instrument Trainer from July 1942, the scheme changed in early-mid 1943. Someone will do one.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The ICM /132 Stearman is now in my hot little hands.

Purchased on eBay July 22
Tracking provided July 23
Actual shipment July 31
Received today Aug 20

Not bad from Ukraine to Memphis, TN

I was surprised that the package was intact with only a minor ding on one corner.

rDMYab.jpg

mE7sir.jpg

TzEuJW.jpgmGgSPO.jpg

N4Fqtq.jpg

lLSnwQ.jpg

XePivI.jpg

dyH2Po.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...