HK Models B-17 E/F backdated to a B-17D

patricksparks

That is absolutely gorgeous Pat! I wish I'd been able to subcontract you ages ago :). Very impressive set of drawings, looks like you've been able to interpret how it all fits in there very well indeed. Can't wait to see some of this printed! 

Have you had a look at the cockpit/nose section yet?

P.S. probably don't open the bomb bay....... not sure if it's worth the hurt I'm going though!!!!!! :rofl:

Craig

1 hour ago, brahman104 said:

That is absolutely gorgeous Pat! I wish I'd been able to subcontract you ages ago :). Very impressive set of drawings, looks like you've been able to interpret how it all fits in there very well indeed. Can't wait to see some of this printed! 

Have you had a look at the cockpit/nose section yet?

P.S. probably don't open the bomb bay....... not sure if it's worth the hurt I'm going though!!!!!! :rofl:

Craig

Thanks Craig !!! Your Fort is coming along amazing !!! As for the forward portion of the fuselage I will be using it as the kit came along with the mods that I already made with shortening the overall length and rebuilding the flight deck, flattening the area in front of the windscreen, etc, etc....The bombay was already pretty much done from the kit with some Eduard details added. Still along way to go...

Thanks again,

Pat

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Fascinating stuff, Patrick. How do you plan to print the parts?

Kev

Thank you Kevin, I'm hoping to print(resin) this in a few days from now, I have ordered a new printer, an ANYCUBIC PHOTON MONO. Hope than the resolution on my STL files will be fine enough to get the facets out of the resin prints ....

Thanks again,

Pat

2 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Absolutely incredible Pat! You'll have the whole plane drawn within a week at this rate! :)

Simply amazing stuff. As Kevin said, do all the pieces come apart to get printed individually? What skin thickness did you end up with?

Great job!

Craig

Thank you Craig, I have drawn all parts with basically about .025" thickness for the outer skin and .010/.015 for the internal framing, I wanted to keep it fairly thin to keep the parts from shrinking a little bit less. It's pretty much a guess on my part based on parts I printed in the past. As for the parts break down here is an attached photo of how I hope to do it, I didn't want to split the model down the centerline figuring that it would probably be difficult to get it glued up evenly. Instead I thought I would try to put it together like the real thing in sections at the breaks like the real fuselage and maintain the perfectly round cross sections...(hopefully) and I think that the section are short enough to allow painting and detailing without a problem(I hope)...I also made fit rings on the bulkheads on the end of each section to go into the bulkhead of the next in line...

Thanks again,

Pat

EN2DEoI.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

Nice! Sounds like a solid plan for the printing Pat; hope it works out okay. I'm still blown away by your CAD work; you certainly seem to have made short work of elements that took me months/years to work out! :)

As far as the panel line details in the skin are concerned, how deep did you go with them? Sorry for all the questions, just a massive fan of your work!

Can't wait to see this printed.

Craig

20 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Nice! Sounds like a solid plan for the printing Pat; hope it works out okay. I'm still blown away by your CAD work; you certainly seem to have made short work of elements that took me months/years to work out! :)

As far as the panel line details in the skin are concerned, how deep did you go with them? Sorry for all the questions, just a massive fan of your work!

Can't wait to see this printed.

Craig

Thanks Craig, the panel lines are drawn at .005" wide and a little deeper than .005", I decided on these dimensions based on parts that I printed about 2 1/2 years ago, I remember trying to print really fine lines and they wouldn't print good, so I made them larger and it seemed to work well, seems that the smaller drawn lines were there but they lost definition at the smaller size and also increasing the depth seemed to help to maintain them. We'll give it a go and see what happens, the beauty of computer drawings is being able to go back and change details like this easily. Right now my new printer is in transit...

Thanks,

Pat