Unique opportunity 1/32 Andover C1

Anthony in NZ

11 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

LOVE this photo...…..thanks, generally speaking it looks like everything will line up pretty well

Unfortunately I was in a hurry and knocked the table - hence the wonky middle on the fuselage - the fit of parts generally appears excellent - I really don't think there will be an issue there.

One thing to note - and under the 'advantages' section - wings are hollow - so very light - and should be relatively easy to incorporate a tip to tip spar.

Obvious downside is trailing edges are very thick and will need work - but nothing that can't be sorted - and control surfaces (bar flaps) look as though they have hinge gaps that almost run all the way through - so I'm going to remove mine to clean up and thin.

Props are probably heading for 'file 13' - and the engine fronts and contours are suspect on first pass. Wheels a lot better than I expected!

Interior surfaces/details also better than I expected and should look brilliant once cleaned up and detailed.

Iain

16 hours ago, Iain said:

Found these in there too...

Clever bit of drainage pipe perhaps?

48b427_e303554b87a24cfea28a8954371fa873~

:)

Iain

We’ve just purchased some mini flow guttering for the pagoda, I recon that a broader diameter:blink:

43 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

It looks you should buy shares of a sandpaper factory company... :whistle:

It's actually not that bad surface-wise - photos taken on mobile in very contrasty light.

I reckon there's less work in this than most vacforms/resin kits - we'll see!

Iain

So so so good!! I'm getting a Andover, but 72nd... 32nd SQN was very close to home for many years living not far from Northolt, and as I have all the others mostly, i'll be sticking to 72nd for the Andover... but that does look so nice in 32nd. Damn you Iain. :wacko:

:D 

Just having a coffee break with the day job and unwrapped the two outer wing sections for the first time (as opposed to the 'Test Piece' extra that Toshihiko also provided) - and they have a lot finer surface texture - so far less sanding required than I thought.

48b427_26477196f917406f99f22b637e0156c0~

48b427_875633284a7845e29b39b63a26e28d9f~

48b427_345861a1dfd0474fb0b14af0e8086298~

I will be replacing all surface detail...

This is the lower side of the 'Test Piece' wing after 5 minutes of sanding (and it was a lot rougher than the final prints):

48b427_b4e44c9affe04edf95fc1ab444d9462c~

This is what will take most prep work I think - the trailing edges - 2.29mm thick on the section between stiffeners:

48b427_49fb6075dce14876a7f0dfb55b548ba3~

Those stiffeners will need replacing as well.

General comment on panel detail - reminiscent of the old Matchbox kits! But excellent given the medium IMHO...

Really pleased Toshihiko included the 'Test Piece' wing section - something to practice on with prep/finessing/bonding and control surface removal.

Will start a separate thread/build in next few days - after I've had a chance to photograph everything.

Iain

Hmmm - found a few areas where work will be required on shapes...

Nose appears to be too fat in width were cap fits - resulting in too oval a cross section - I *think* there's enough meat on the plastic to re-profile - but may be need to fill inside with Milliput first. Anyway - fixeable - and, actually - doesn't look too bad at all with the nose cap in place...

Tailplane to rear fuselage interface is wrong. First flagged when looking at photos earlier this evening - the sections inboard of the elevators should be horizontal - as printed they follow the dihedral of the rest of the tailplane. This tailplane/fuselage interface area is actually a complex shape. I think I may have to resort to hacking the tailplanes off completely and re-doing. This will take the most work to fix.

Front section of cowling - where the access doors are - look out in side profile - too much of a curve on underside. Easy fix - especially if adding engines!

Outboard flap actuators in wrong position - easy fix when thinning wing anyway...

Wing tips will need filling and re-profiling - and slight change in plan where it curves around outside edge of aileron. Easy fix.

Am I disappointed? Emphatically no! I expected to find things like this - and for Toshihiko to create the shapes he has, in the time he's had, is quite remarkable IMHO! :)

Not forgetting this was purchased knowing it would be a canvas for a spectacular model - and it really is a superb canvas! 

I'll shut up now - and crack open a build thread over the weekend.

As said - will do a review for the site - but will focus on what's provided in the kit, rather than a nut and bolt list of corrections.

Iain