• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nhahistoricalsociety.org/index.php/hc-7-combat-rescue-43-19-june-1968/

Thought I’d share with the group. Your dad likely worked on the seats that saved these men’s lives. (Which incidentally, my coworker grew up on NAS Oceana and was neighbors with Lt Cdr Burns...played in his house alongside his kids in the early 70s).

anyway the link is to the Medal Of Honor mission for HC-7s rescue of the VF-33 crew from USS America. An amazing story...and to see some of these jets in color just brings it all to life!

Peter

JeepsGunsTanks, nice set of photos. I'm sorry your dad is gone now but so many of our old shipmates are also gone. I'm 77 now and I can feel the Grim Reaper breathing down my neck. Thanks for posting those photos. I was a cocky young buck of 26 when I was on the America and flying those missions in an A-7. When I get used to it and figure out this web site, I hope to post many more. 

Edited by Burner
sounds better this way

23 hours ago, easixpedro said:

http://www.nhahistoricalsociety.org/index.php/hc-7-combat-rescue-43-19-june-1968/

Thought I’d share with the group. Your dad likely worked on the seats that saved these men’s lives. (Which incidentally, my coworker grew up on NAS Oceana and was neighbors with Lt Cdr Burns...played in his house alongside his kids in the early 70s).

anyway the link is to the Medal Of Honor mission for HC-7s rescue of the VF-33 crew from USS America. An amazing story...and to see some of these jets in color just brings it all to life!

Peter

That's an amazing story,  I wonder if my old man had anything to do with the Seats in the Phantom!

5 hours ago, Burner said:

JeepsGunsTanks, nice set of photos. I'm sorry your dad is gone now but so many of our old shipmates are also gone. I'm 77 now and I can feel the Grim Reaper breathing down my neck. Thanks for posting those photos. I was a cocky young buck of 26 when I was on the America and flying those missions in an A-7. When I get used to it and figure out this web site, I hope to post many more. 

Thanks! I really wish I had appreciated this stuff more when he was around. I really glad others have found them interesting too!   Send me a PM if you need a place to host your pics, I can put them up on my site and send you the links if you want. 

I have more pics to post, not many of the aircraft, mostly shore leave and ship stuff. I should have some time this weekend. 

• 10 months later...