WNW Albatros DV

Greif8

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Good job, nice scheme you have chosen there.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you Andy!  My 5 year old daughter  often picks out the schemes I do, and she liked the crescent moon and star on this one.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Real nice job so far. Just out of curiosity, can the rocker arms and valve springs be independently adjusted for height?

Thank you Kevin!  The valve springs come compressed and un-compressed, and the instructions show what order they should be placed in.  I thought there would be an equal number of compressed/un-compressed valve springs but that is not the case - there are more un-compressed valve springs.  Not knowing how internal combustion engines fire I am assuming the guys a Taurus Models did their homework and glued the valve springs in the order they lay out.  The rocker arms are glued in the correct position corresponding to the valve spring it is connected with.  Hope I did not venture too far into the TMI zone!

Ernest   

I have been plugging away on the build.  The following photos show the fuselage with its final gloss coats.  This turned out pretty nice and I am considering doing something I rarely do and leave the aircraft pretty much pristine with only light weathering.  The photo does not really show how glossy the "varnished wood" is, but it about one of the shiniest builds I have ever done. I decided to try my hand at using the PE for the cooling jackets on the kit part.  They turned out presentable - not perfect, but good enough at normal viewing range.  Drilling and "coning" the muzzles was tedious, but they also should look good when I get some paint on them.  Finally, I opted to use the kit decals for the black stripes on the tail; normally I like to airbrush that sort of scheme, but the decals were pretty nice; however, they did not fit perfectly.  I worked on them a bit and got them to look presentable.  I decided to leave the tail with a faint sheen rather than dead flat because I think it looks better next to the glossy fuselage.

Ernest

IMG_1534

IMG_1528

IMG_1533

IMG_1537

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent work, Ernest!

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

This is looking really wonderful. Now I'm tempted to drag out my own Albatros (OAW), but dare not.

Thank you guys, this build is  going smoothly thus far.  I am currently applying the Aviattic decals to the wings though I doubt I'll get any time at the bench today as my wife has the flu.

9 hours ago, europapete said:

yes, taurus are correct. Valve springs are never equal in compressed/ uncompressed numbers.  

I was pretty sure the guys at Taurus got it right, though to be honest once everything is in place it is really hard to see the valve springs in different positions from normal viewing distance. 

7 hours ago, themongoose said:

Wow is that the same wood as pg1? It really brightens up, and seems to lose some of the green hue with the gloss on it. Really looking good!

Thank you!  The wood color is the same as page 1; the van der Rosten decals and gloss coats - about 6 of them - really made the "wood grain" pop.