References for detailing?

AlbertD

I'm on my second build after being away from the hobby for a very long time and have enjoyed looking at some of the fantastic builds here. The level of detail amazes me and I want to work my way toward doing it for myself. I have a 1/32 Tamiya P-51 in the stash and after seeing a couple of beautiful Corsair builds I plan to get a Tamiya F4U-1A in the  very near future.

My question is, what do you guys use as references for all the cockpit, engine and other details?

Thanks, Al

it will vary from aircraft to aircraft 

the biggest issue for me is sorting out restored airframes from original, because the former often have non-original features

you would be surprised how difficult it is for instance to know what's in a Spitfire MkI cockpit

because only once you know, can you decide what you are going to put in

two suggestions for you...

get Dana Bell's two books on the Corsair - you can get them on Amazon

second, dont go mad if you are just coming back to the hobby, and remember you won't see half of what you put in a cockpit anyway once it's closed up!

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and ordered the Dana Bell books for the Corsair. I saw he also has one for the Wildcat so I got it too. I'll have a look for the period parts catalogs. I have seen some other old, original military manuals available. It looks like an interesting source.

I do have a couple of the Squadron Walk Around books and they sure help but the more the better. 

Dana Bell is ‘Mr Corsair’ btw (apologies if you know this), so even though his books are not massive, you can take what’s in them to the bank :coolio:

they will also help you analyse period pictures more accurately, and see the mistakes that decal manufacturers keep on making

depending on what other aircraft you are interested in, I can recommend a couple of stand out books on the Spitfire IX / XVI - called ‘Spitfire IX Engineered’ I think, but I forget the author; and also the Bf110 C, D and E - look for anything authored by John Vasco.

that being said, there is also a huge amount of utter crap out there, that isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on (did someone mention Osprey Aircraft of the Aces...?)

17 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Dana Bell is ‘Mr Corsair’ btw (apologies if you know this), so even though his books are not massive, you can take what’s in them to the bank :coolio:

they will also help you analyse period pictures more accurately, and see the mistakes that decal manufacturers keep on making

depending on what other aircraft you are interested in, I can recommend a couple of stand out books on the Spitfire IX / XVI - called ‘Spitfire IX Engineered’ I think, but I forget the author; and also the Bf110 C, D and E - look for anything authored by John Vasco.

that being said, there is also a huge amount of utter crap out there, that isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on (did someone mention Osprey Aircraft of the Aces...?)

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to building a little library of references. As a former draftsman I love looking at the drawings too.

45 minutes ago, Wegener said:

I think the Spitfire IX book is by Monforton.    I’m still looking for one.  Crops up very occasionally on eBay and tends to go for high prices, like Crandall’s Fw190D books.

The Monforton book is readily available in digital format, and for a much reduced price. That's what I've got, and I highly recommend it.

Kev

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Loading up on a comprehensive library can be (is) expensive.

I like to use  Google Advanced > Images , which can be very helpfull.

Have fun Al  :thumbsup:

So I'm learning. Heck, I have plenty of time. I figure I'll build my library based on what I'm currently building on my workbench or is up next. Of course right now I'm still learning some techniques beyond what we did back in the old days.

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Thanks for the amazing references. I ordered my Corsair kit this morning but I don't think I'm up to the challenge yet. It won't be long though. 

57 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

So I'm learning. Heck, I have plenty of time. I figure I'll build my library based on what I'm currently building on my workbench or is up next. Of course right now I'm still learning some techniques beyond what we did back in the old days.

I've been "gathering" books for more years than I care to admit to, and yes, it can get to be quite an investment over time (but ultimately worth every nickel, in my opinion).

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:29 AM, AlbertD said:

My question is, what do you guys use as references for all the cockpit, engine and other details?

Thanks, Al

Hello

These books "How to build" serie from ADH publishing can be also very helpful.

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/volume-2-tamiyas-132-f4u-1a-f4u-1d-corsair/

Edited by rafju
link added